Whats Been Keeping Me Out Of The Machine Shop

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
No metal work to show lately so thought i'd post why.
Been at a set of black cherry cabinets that I was going to do over the winter. The client said they weren't in a hurry, bad thing to say to me.
Some of the base cabinets, the carcases are birch plywood, all the frames and doors are mortise and tenon joints.
IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

This section is an island with a cutout for a slide in gas range. The tops are laminated hard maple.

IMG_1243.jpg

The maple was 2 inch flat sawn with a bit of twist. In order to expose the edge grain it needed to be resawed, the easiest way was in the sawmill ( a project from a couple of years ago)

IMG_1242.jpg

I put the laminations together in about 1 foot wide sections, plane those, then join the sections.
IMG_1239.jpg

A close up of the joint between sections.
IMG_1244.jpg

Going to be a heavy piece to move to location.
Thanks for looking
Greg

IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1243.jpg IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1239.jpg IMG_1244.jpg

Very nice. I have 2 tables to build over the summer holidays. I have access to flame birch planks, as much as want for free. I figured I will make myself and a friend of mine a large viking style table each since the materials won't cost anything. It will be able to seat 10.

Paul.

Looking good. Yeeeeeeeears ago I built my kichen in high school woodshop, everyone else made a jewelry box..lol

Fantastic workmanship. When you do get finished, and have a spare moment, we would love a tour of the sawmill. (One of my items on the projects list)

Jake Parker

ooh la la! Are the panel finished before the doors are assembled? very nice

Thanks guys, probably get nicer comments on a metal forum than a wood working one.
I use Tung oil to raise the grain on the surface and seal it. It can be sanded easily before the final finish goes on. The panels float in the frames so I oil them before assembly in case they move or shrink and show the edges.
The panels are resawn from one inch stock to book match the grain.
On the mill.
Built it a couple of years ago. Mostly from scrounged parts. Had to buy the channel for the frame and some plate.
The engine is a 14 hp Isuzu diesel from a heater unit on a truck. Pretty cheap to run 1 litter and hour.
The 24inch wheels for the band were shive wheels off oilfield pump jacks.
Will cut 30 inches between the guides, I've handled logs slightly bigger by slabbing them down to fit.
Made a small cylinder to give me hydraulic tensioning on the blade, the manufacturer wants 1600 pounds tension.
Just after it was built.
IMGP0602.jpg

IMGP0603.jpg

The first test cut

IMGP0605.jpg

quarter sawing some big Ash
IMG_0239.jpg

Latter made a shingle cutting jig. The frames rock back and forth to get the taper. Cuts 4 shingles at a time.
IMG_0159.jpg

Shingled the walls of the shop with cedar.

IMG_0717.jpg

If you want any details Jake just ask

Greg

IMGP0602.jpg IMGP0603.jpg IMGP0605.jpg IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0717.jpg

Getting closer to returning to the machine shop.
Finished assembling, levelling out, sanding and oiling the counter top.
IMG_1251.jpg

This section is an island to be assembled on site. Heres the back panel.

IMG_1248.jpg

Now my least favourite part, adding a finish.

Greg

IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1248.jpg

Back