what type of wire stripper do you recommend?

I have the same style strippers, badged Speedex.

I know lot of folks say buy high quality etc etc, but while I have a couple of very nice "automatic" wire strippers that work fine, a few years ago I bought a couple pair of harbor freight hand strippers for really cheap during a sale. They are sharp, work great and are what I grab 99% of the time. <$5
Sometimes simple is just well... simpler.61586_W3.jpg

I've owned so many wire strippers... all of the above. First, it depends on what kind of work you're doing. Solid wire and romex is, ultimately, insensitive about how it is stripped. Stranded wire, especially fine strands and silicone jacketed wire found in electronics and automotive are what I do most, and are the most sensitive to strip. I've circular filed all the automatic types, and now only use the type that @coherent posted above. Sometimes, if I am doing a lot of a single wire size, I'll use the simple single notch/adjustable stop type from Klein or Excel. I do a lot of soldering, and have a 3-iron station permanently set up in my basement. I didn't arrive at this conclusion by doing wiring once in a while. Keep it simple stripper.

Edit: If you are doing mil-spec crimps for Canon/ITT/Amphenol type connectors, the only stripper allowed is the single notch adjustable stop type. Just sayin'.

I've had theses for over 30 years still working great made by Ideal
2984401563215855012.png

I'm sure Felo brand is one of the better one just for being German made , I probable would pay something like $60 plus by the time I have it delivered.
Jim, I don't do a lot of electrical wiring but I did look at that Katapult model, the only reason I stayed away was, being a left handed user I will most likely find it frustrating to switch hands to cut,it seems to me that most of these types of wire strippers are designed for right handed users .
How about Irwin 2078300? does any of you guy ever owned or used one?

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-G...Wire+Stripper&qid=1563131764&s=gateway&sr=8-3
View attachment 298383
Ken, I have the Irwin version. Maybe had it about 4 years. It has worked great for me. I've done 22 gauge to 10 gauge with it and never a problem.
I also have Ideal auto strippers that have always been sticky and would not recommend them.

Roy

Ken, I have the Irwin version. Maybe had it about 4 years. It has worked great for me. I've done 22 gauge to 10 gauge with it and never a problem.
I also have Ideal auto strippers that have always been sticky and would not recommend them.

Roy
Hi Roy, I also like the Irwin cutter/stripper very much. I was reluctant to buy it at first mainly for the few bad reviews that I had read on Amazon, and a couple on YouTube, complaints like " the springs broke after one use" or "this cutter can not cut smaller gauges " but after I tried it myself, I found it to be a very capable tool, so I fully understand why you like it.

Hi Roy, I also like the Irwin cutter/stripper very much. I was reluctant to buy it at first mainly for the few bad reviews that I had read on Amazon, and a couple on YouTube, complaints like " the springs broke after one use" or "this cutter can not cut smaller gauges " but after I tried it myself, I found it to be a very capable tool, so I fully understand why you like it.

Hi Ken, I have found the same thing. I guess the ones who couldn't strip small gauge wire didn't read the instructions. It has been my go to for a long time. And it is not expensive for what you get.

Back