what type of wire stripper do you recommend?

I'm sure Felo brand is one of the better one just for being German made , I probable would pay something like $60 plus by the time I have it delivered.
Jim, I don't do a lot of electrical wiring but I did look at that Katapult model, the only reason I stayed away was, being a left handed user I will most likely find it frustrating to switch hands to cut,it seems to me that most of these types of wire strippers are designed for right handed users .
How about Irwin 2078300? does any of you guy ever owned or used one?

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-G...Wire+Stripper&qid=1563131764&s=gateway&sr=8-3
View attachment 298383

I have two strippers of this design and they both work great! Irwin makes good tools I think you will be happy with these.

I had to have my 180 ft deep submersible well pump replaced. When the kid whipped out his pocket knife and stripped the 10 gauge wires powering the pump I made him cut the ends off and do it again properly. If you don't care about the quality of your work or how long it lasts a knife is just fine. If it is a critical application or very expensive to get to you had darned sure better know how to strip a wire properly! The wiring to the old pump failed right at the connection between the pump wires and the power wires, it just broke after ~20 years. Want to bet if the original installer used a proper wire stripper or a pocket knife?

Just about all mechanical strippers will nick the wire a little. If you really want to be a perfectionist, use a knife but slit lengthwise, then peel the insulation back and use diagonal cutters to nip off the insulation- nicking the wire lengthwise weakens the wire far less, but no professional electrician would dream of doing it this way, it takes way too long

I have various wire stripper but just use my diagonal pliers most of the time. If you squeeze gently so as not to contact the wire, you can strip the insulation without nicking the wire. I grind my diagonal pliers jaws so they are flat on the outside for flush cutting and sharpen them to cut a hair, I strip with the flat side to the end of the wire.
Teflon insulation can be really difficult. I usually use my needle nose pliers to crush the insulation and then I can peel back the two pieces and trim them with my diagonal pliers.
For fine gauge wires, I will use my soldering iron to melt the insulation at the separation point. I can usually pull the insulation off with my fingernails. No chance of nicking the wire.

I am looking for suggestions or opinions on what type of wire stripper to buy, I only intend to use this tool occasionally at home around the house/shop .

======================================================

My dad always had this style of wire stripper. If I recall right, he had used them in 1947, when he built our first TV. I was 4 years old and helped him pick out the resistors, based on the color code. At some point in the 1950s, they got dropped and broke the casting. He patched them with a metal strap. I inherited them in 73, but by then, they were in pretty sad shape. I replaced them with the same type. At this time, I have of them. Use them all the time. I think they are still made today by several companies. ----- John

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HO...=372692237682b390e3b810e744ffb1de96c8a53fb133

I guess the pattern on that HLOUB is long expired, the Klein Katapult is the closest to the original as far as I can see, others also make some cheaper versions of it including some with plastic handles that seem to break after a couple of uses.

I have various wire stripper but just use my diagonal pliers most of the time. If you squeeze gently so as not to contact the wire, you can strip the insulation without nicking the wire. I grind my diagonal pliers jaws so they are flat on the outside for flush cutting and sharpen them to cut a hair, I strip with the flat side to the end of the wire.
So you basically made your own wire stripper ,I have found something similar to your cutter that Lee Valley sells by NWS ,very simple in design but I bet it'll work as consistently as anything out there.

Agree with RJ, for stranded teflon wire I do the lengthwise slit and peel, but I don't use teflon wire that often

I have used these from Thomas & Betts for some 30 plus years. They accurately strip wire at specific gauges without over cutting. They also crimp insulated and non insulated terminals and cut bolts from 4-40 to 10-32. The long handles offer good leverage when cutting wire and crimping terminals.8ED3F0D0-C9EC-411E-9BF4-400848ADD661.jpeg

Back