What type of tap is this?

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I purchased a couple hundred taps and drills on an industrial auction. Most of this stuff I re-sell on eBay to help fund my addiction of buying more tools.

Among these taps were six of the taps shown in the pictures. I have never seen a tap like this before. I thought about calling the company (Balax) but I already called them once to ask about something else and don't want to be a PITA to them. I did a part number search and come up with absolutely nothing.

So, what say you fellow HM'ers?

Attachments

• 20200605_170201.jpg
    20200605_170201.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
  • 20200605_170205.jpg
    20200605_170205.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200605_170213.jpg
    20200605_170213.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200605_170222.jpg
    20200605_170222.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
Looks like a forming tap rather than a cutting tap. Did you mean more specifically than that?

Thank you jwmelvin. It appears that most (or all) of Balax's taps are forming taps, however, the other taps I have from them are 5 flute. I have never seen a tap like this is all, with the threads running all the way around it except for the one groove (relief groove?). One thing about buying items on auctions is that I have learned more about industrial processes than I would have ever imagined. Wasn't until a few days ago that I did not know that there are form taps and cutting taps. Now I just need to know why the difference...

Sure look like roll forming taps as mentioned by jwmelvin. I have a number of them from Balax who's in Northlake, WI.

I believe they are primarily used on CNC and other power-tapping applications. I use them on my Tormach. One advantage is they press the thread in, don't cut, so no swarf to clean after tapping. The tap hole sizes are different than thread cutting taps, chart from the web is attached.

Bruce

Attachments

• roll_form_tap_drill_chart.pdf
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
Formed threads are typically stronger than cut threads.

Wasn't until a few days ago that I did not know that there are form taps and cutting taps. Now I just need to know why the difference...

Thank you guys!!
Now that I have a bunch of them, I will have to try them out. Thank you BG for the chart.

Anyone interested in some roll forming taps. LOL.

Seems like roll forming taps would make cutting taps somewhat obsolete.

Disregard. After reading Jim's link, it makes sense now.

I use them a lot in aluminum and some plastics, but I’ve never used them in other metals

I use 2X56 in blind holes. Perfect situation to use roll form taps is in blind holes when the material allows it.
Pierre

Back