What type of penetrating oil works best?

Kroil is great...but because it's harder to get I usually won't use it until everything else has failed. WD-40 is pretty basic, and there's a product called "Deep Creep" by Sea Foam that works pretty well. Deep Creep is actually kind of thick, but it works awesome if you give it time. For instance, you just got a new piece of old iron in the garage but don't have time or money to work on it just yet. Well, shoot the Deep Creep everywhere you can and it'll work for you in the meantime. By the time you actually get back to the machine, it'll help you avoid seized up parts.

One technique I like to use is gently heating the part, then applying the penetrant....it makes nasty fumes so be careful, but the higher temp really decreases the viscosity of the "junk" in the threads as well as letting the oil seep in better.

Transmission oil & acetone for the home brew method. Works well.

I have my best luck with Zep45. I don't know where to tell you to get it. I get it at my transmission parts store in KC MO. A and Reds for KC folks. I'm sure they probably still distribute to shops also. I would love to get a crack at a gal. can not under pressure. I've also had good results with heat.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I like to use Gibbs. It does everything kroil does and is cheaper and doesn't smell as bad.

Anyone know the name of stores that carry Gibbs Brand or is it only available direct from Gibbs or some other online supplier?

We use Micro Mist sometimes, mostly because it is actually oily and will keep stuff from rusting. But,,,, when we get ready to tear down an old tractor or equipment we start about a week ahead of time with the acetone and ATF mix. That stuff will get down in the threads with time. IMHO its better than anything on the market and best of all cheaper! Word of caution!!!! keep it off any good paint, the acetone will sometimes damage paint.

PB Blaster and heat for me.
if you haven't seen them yet there is a cool alternative to Mr. Bluewrench ( oxy acetylene ). It's called an inductive heater. We have one at work and it works great. Similar to a cooktop stove that has no visible element it creates a high frequency electric field that will heat any metal put into that field. No open flames and it heats up pretty quick.

http://www.toolsource.com/miniductor-magnetic-induction-heater-p-111172.html

I like kroil or bp blaster i have had good luck witheither one .then go to the torch

Back