What type of mill for a small shop

cincinnati toolmaster, dont remember which model number but they had one that was about 3/4 the size of a bridgeport and it weighed about as much, nice small heavyweight mill..

I keep it clean and nice Because I have a Shop Vac. and a Wife that loves to Clean up after me, Yes I Know I have it made, But it took a long time to get here,:lmao:

I am more and more impressed with the Burke 4, I have noticed an Atlas Horizontal for sale with some tooling for around a grand. I don't think the Atlas is as robust as the Burke tho?? I would love to find a burke #4 with some tooling!!

Regards

Skip

I am verry happy with the PM-25 it dose everything I want it to do, I do take smaller cuts with it, than if I do with my big old Index mill.
and I don't get in a hurry anymore, and that could be because of Old Age, I am not happy with the company I bough it from, Quality Machine Tools,
Or the Guy there by the name of Matt. and I will not deal with them again. But all in all the machine works fine.

I think a small knee mill is good. I too can not really fit a Bridgeport. My mill is knee mill, but it is a horizontal and vertical with two separate motors driving each. Probably about 600 lbs, but guessing. It is Rotex, which is a horizontal, but has the optional vertical head on it (similar to Rusnok). Something the size of the Rotex seems to complement my Southbend 9 pretty well, but admit I would not mind having a 6 x 26 vertical mill.

Phil

A #4 Burke mill is a good little work horse. The belt drive power table feed does surprisingly well. Mine also has the vertical head, which is handy, but I try to work horizontal whenever possible. Just works better. These mills were sold as bench models weighing over 400 lbs. with an available floor pedestal which most seem to have. Total weight topped 700 lbs. They were sold with several motor drives with the most common ( I believe ) being a Master gearhead motor around 1/2 hp. Mine ( 1942 vintage ) also has Timken spindle bearings, not sure if all of them do. Hope this helps someone.

Check with Grizzly or Jet. That have Bridgeport type machines that are smaller. I almost bought a 1960's Bridgeport about 8 months ago, but I had to settle for a Tormach PCNC1100.

Steve, how do you like your Tormach?

Stan

How big of a "small shop" are we talking? I came close to buying a Grizzly G0704 until a Johansson B12, brother to the Atlas 8520, came up on Ebay the day before I was to head to Grizzly. :) The G0704's a good small mill, or you could go with something like a small knee mill from Grizzly or a Top Tech that Penn Tool sells here.

I have had my G0704 for almost a year now and have been very happy with it. It does everything I need it to do. I have cut A2 tool steel, stainles. and of corse lots af Alum. I think it is probly the best bang for the buck out there. Of corse my shop won't suport the weight of a bridgeport.

Having started this thread back in August I am amazed at all the great responses and comments. After quite a while researching and looking I finally found a Clausing 8520 in Western Michigan. What a road trip from North Dakota out there and back in 2 Days!! A little over 2000 miles round trip.
I love the machine and am slowly learning its capabilities as well as mine. I would like to add a small horizontal mill like a Burke #4 at sometime in the future. Acquiring the tooling, vises and associated stuff is now keeping my wallet thin. Thanks everyone for the great info, you guys were definately a help in my decision and purchase.

Regards.
Skipd1

Back