What type of mill for a small shop

skipd1

Registered
Registered
I would like to add a milling tool to my shop now that I have my lathe finished. I really don't have a lot of room and the Bridgeport sized mills just won't fit without serious reorganization and sacrifice of something already there. I have been toying with looking for a Atlas Horizontal Mill and later adding a small vertical mill to accompany it. Any thoughts as to types or brands? I don't want to be tied to real small "hobby" projects and I want to be able to mill steel.

Regards
skipd1

Check with Grizzly or Jet. That have Bridgeport type machines that are smaller. I almost bought a 1960's Bridgeport about 8 months ago, but I had to settle for a Tormach PCNC1100.

Here is my Small Machine shop 12 X 16 with my PM-25-MV milling machine and my 1979 12 X 36 Jet lathe,
NewMillinshop012.jpg
LathenewShop016.jpg
tractor010.jpg

NewMillinshop012.jpg

NewMillinshop012.jpg

LathenewShop016.jpg

LathenewShop016.jpg

tractor010.jpg

tractor010.jpg

I like the horizontal mill I have. It is narrow and doesn't need any headroom. I ned to find a vertical attachment like a bridgeport "M" head that will mount on the over-arm or (good luck with this part), find a head that slides over the vertical slideway and is driven from the spindle. My mill is a 1930-40ish Brown & Sharpe model 0Y (zero/wye). It sits on a large "ShopFox" mobile base and tucks up against the wall where the black cabinette is in the first pic. I have a single car garage and can still drive in.

Setting up a horizontal mill make me think a bit more due to normally using verticals in shops but I find I can do more odd/long parts with it than a vertical

016.JPG024.JPG

024.JPG 016.JPG

Skip,
Have you given any thought to a 3-in-1 machine or one of the Rong Fu clones? They are not the best possible mill but do a pretty good job for their size. I have a 3-in-1 and can manage to get pretty decent parts made that are as accurate as I am willing to take the time to be. Bolton, Grizzly and Harbor all have simila units. May be worth a look to avoid a full sized mill and add some othe functions to your shop. Just a thought.
Bob

I have really not considered the 3:1 machines, what all can they do and will they mill steel without much problem?

Skip

I just bought a Burke #4 horizontal mill with a vertical head attachment, it takes up a rather small foot print but I can't tell you much if anything about performance as it is still in the back of my buddies (Benny) truck. Were gonna set it up today so I should be able to tell you more tonight.

Skip,
My POS Harbor Freight 5980 will mill steel, aluminum and stainless with no problem. It will also turn a 13X20 pices of stock in the lathe too. It is all manually operated with no power anything, so I have to go a little slower and measure more often. If I am patient enough I can get within .0005 pretty consistently. So a newer more precise 3-in-1 will do a bit better on power feeds and nicer control systems. Bolton has one for a good price as does grizzly and the HF I think is a model 44142. They all require a little tweaking straight out of the box, but once you get them dialed in the are a real pleasure to run. I dont advocate keeping a 3-in-1 as your only tool, but it is a good stepping stone for a shop that is space and funds restricted. As you grow and your shop has mre room you can sell off the 3-in-1 after you get a seperate lathe and mill. Those are just my thoughts but if you need to get access to a couple of good 3-in-1 sites PM me and I will link you to the two I am a member of.
Bob

Type of Mill for small shop

As I already have restored an Old 1930 Model O SouthBend Heavy 9 on a 4 1/2 ft bed. I really don't see the need for a 3:1 machine. I like the horizontals, especially the older ones that could maybe have a vertical head added in the future, and seem to have a smaller footprint. I just am so new the the hobby that all the old machines around kinda confound me and its difficult to look on Ebay or Craigs list and really know if what's advertised it the right machine for me. And then there's tooling issues as well!! I guess just talking and learning from all of you, with a little time, I'll find as good an old mill as I did with my Lathe.

Skip

Back