What Type Of Cutting Oil is correct

Sorry man, didn't know- let me change my remark to wishing you a very happy holiday. I was just confused with the wording and the picture of strawberry jam- I really did not know what you were conveying. I did not know about white lead- so thanks
White lead you could goto paint store and get bag and mix heavy oil in white and make your own too.
It was also used water pipes too till 1980's.

The small bottle from a gift box is just right size . Baby vegetable bottle are to big.
I left the label on and in time it gone and more fun for the photo.

FYI I have had over 100 Chemo treatments.

Dave

Sorry man, didn't know- let me change my remark to wishing you a very happy holiday. I was just confused with the wording and the picture of strawberry jam- I really did not know what you were conveying. I did not know about white lead- so thanks
I used my strawberry cutting oils today AKA clear cutting from Home Depot. It only takes a soldering brushes full for cutting O1 tool steel.

Dave

I bit the bullet and bought this:

e2d93dde28a1ff9ebffc7f633e81cb6e.jpg

Never heard of the brand, but all I have at the moment is CT90 which isn’t sprayable so I thought I’d give this a go. I assume the percentages on the label are the mixture between fluid and water for this operations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m guessing Crisco shelf life in the shop probably will be a lot longer than it’s printed date. Most of the expiration dates on food products are “Best By” dates. It’s mostly manufacture companies way to get us to throw out the outdated stuff in our pantries so we go out to buy more, and they get repeat sales.

But I know where I’m going to take my 4 year old can of crisco to now. To the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to this thread I decided to try Crisco as a cutting lube and it is working well. I seem to be going through the Crisco A WHOLE LOT FASTER than I expected though... seems to be getting used up at an absolutely incredible rate! It is not NEARLY as cost effective an alternative as I was lead to believe it would be...

20231002_221308.jpg
On a completely unrelated topic, Piper has been wanting to go outside to do her business MUCH more often than usual lately.

Shop teacher: "Why didn't you come prepared for class today... where is your cutting lube?"
Student: "My dog ate it!"

Last edited:
Due to this thread I decided to try Crisco as a cutting lube and it is working well. I seem to be going through the Crisco A WHOLE LOT FASTER than I expected though... seems to be getting used up at an absolutely incredible rate! It is not NEARLY as cost effective an alternative as I was lead to believe it would be...

View attachment 484313
On a completely unrelated topic, Piper has been wanting to go outside to do her business MUCH more often than usual lately.

Shop teacher: "Why didn't you come prepared for class today... where is your cutting lube?"
Student: "My dog ate it!"
Piper's coloring looks a lot like my dog. (Not my avatar), my German Shedder.

I was wondering what type Of Cutting Oil is correct. Not even sure if my process is correct, but it seems to work. I’ve tried plain motor oil and seems to work, but goes on thick. I’ve also tried various machine oils. Even Synthetic Turbine Oil, I like this the best. Has good consistency and doesn’t make much mess. Here is what I’ve been using in no particular order, applied with a small brush.

Kroil
Mil Spec Synthetic Turbine Oil 7808
Motor Oil 5W-30
PB Blaster
WD-40
Chain oil (Only because I got a case free from a neighbor who was moving)
I use dark cutting oil for threading and clear for most other work.
Low cost from Home Depot or Lowes typically on the shelf.

Dave

I was wondering what type Of Cutting Oil is correct. Not even sure if my process is correct, but it seems to work. I’ve tried plain motor oil and seems to work, but goes on thick. I’ve also tried various machine oils. Even Synthetic Turbine Oil, I like this the best. Has good consistency and doesn’t make much mess. Here is what I’ve been using in no particular order, applied with a small brush.

Kroil
Mil Spec Synthetic Turbine Oil 7808
Motor Oil 5W-30
PB Blaster
WD-40
Chain oil (Only because I got a case free from a neighbor who was moving)
The history of cutting oil was first good one was lard.
Then found adding sulfur and mineral to lard and cooking it. was big improvement. The down side was smell.
They also white lead and heavy oil was used for hard to tap.

Dave

Back