What To Do, Unneeded, Unwanted Tools!

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I purchased on Ebay, 42 lbs of tooling, for approximately $3.00 per pound. Among the mixture were Greenfield pipe taps, four in original packaging, the rest look unused, or nearly so. They range from 1/8 to 1 1/4". Looking them up on Grainger's I found that they retail for $735.64. I don't want them, I guess this post is to find out if I have a hope of getting about 1/4 retail for them in the real world. I'm not trying to sell them here, but if someone wants them, make me an offer.

Tom

Hey Tom
There is a sticky somewhere on here about how to post "for sale" items.
There is a specific forum , in the "members area" called "I have an item I want to sell"

Bernie

I really want to know if my expectations are unreasonable, I don't imagine that many hobby machinists want 1 1/4 pipe taps or many other sizes of same.

I purchased on Ebay, 42 lbs of tooling, for approximately $3.00 per pound.......... I don't want them

Nice I love having that problem!

Will continue this sack race later

Uuumm....wrong thread?

Yep - I moved it. WA5CAB

I don't imagine that many hobby machinists want 1 1/4 pipe taps or many other sizes of same.
You may be pleasantly surprised. Personally I find use for many tools that are not exactly machinists tools; probably because I believe I should be able to fix almost anything......
However, I've always considered Grainger way, way overpriced.....1/4 of that is still steep.....sorry.

-brino

Last edited by a moderator:
1/4 of retail might not be bad but Graingers list rices are about 3x retail already! Using advanced search on eBay lets you look at look at sold listings. The prices of things that actually sold are more realistic than asking price.

Yeah, I just looked on Ebay, I won't be able to get 10% of Grainger's price. Oh well, It was a Good Idea...

Thanks for the reality check.

Tom

Well, if it's of any help, the 1-1/4 pipe taps can be used to clean out the threads on the electric hot water heater before installing new elements...

1/4 of retail might not be bad but Graingers list rices are about 3x retail already!

So true! That's why everyone uses them to justify what they want to sell their stuff for. eBay is fairly good at helping you get an idea of real world value. Following a few items will show you how much people are actually paying, not what someone is asking.

GG

Place your for sale things in the classified section,as noted for better results as those wanting to buy stuff will be looking there.

It WILL be hard to get much money out of things like large taps. Likely a rare occurrence that someone will actually need that particular tap. I have tons of stuff that has a high retail price,but I'm not going to bother to try to sell it. If I did,I'd be lucky to get enough money to make the trouble of packing it up and sending it worth while.

Back