What to do if my mystery steel is eating my HSS

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find Starrett available to order in the UK. I'd like a 91B but they're on back order everywhere, even Starret.co.uk

I'm not really sure of an alternative quality manufacturer available in the UK.
Hmm, that's odd. I just went to Amazon in the US, just because, and they didn't have any 91B's either. Well they did have some, but they were from "unusual suppliers". Zoro has the 91B in stock for $95.35. Think that's where I got mine. It was costly for Zoro though. They shipped that in a giant box with zero packing. As you might imagine the 91B got loose and punched a hole in the box. I received a big box with Starrett box inside, but no tap wrench. I called Zoro customer service and told them that I received an empty box - and they should pack their stuff better. I got a replacement a few days later. Can't say it was that much better packed the second time.

When I bought my 93A, I got it from Amazon, because they were the cheapest. Everything seems to have gone up in price in the last few years. My 93A cost $35.40 in 2018, now it costs $53.89, that's a factor of 1.52x. I don't recall what I paid for my 93B, 91A & 91B, but they sure have gotten more costly.

I like the 91's, but honestly I get more use out of the 93's. That's because I use a tap guide in either my mill or lathe to hold the tap wrench perpendicular to the work. That way I get straight tapped holes with no drama.

thanks for the help i ordered and received a 2" R8 insert shell mill and that took care of it, i also slowed the mill down to 400 rpm and used a 5/8 HSS mill to work on it and that took out enough of the gas cut so that the inserts did not rapidly self disassemble.
photos to follow.
still have some tram/nod issues to work out and need to mod the mill for more tram rigidity.
again Thanks to all for the insights.

Attachments

• IMG_6052.jpeg
    IMG_6052.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6051.jpeg
    IMG_6051.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 14
Heads up, @dabear3428 , there is no learning curve on picking the cheap wheat from the cheap chaf.
You're rolling the dice every time, if you don't have a tip off from someone else that has bought that tool. It's dicey, even then. Cheap tools can be good, but you can't really trust them out of the box.
sorry missed this before, i understand what you are saying but, i'm finding that just because the tool cost 3X does not mean that it is quality. the commit on tip off is on the mark as well as applying to expensive and cheap tools equaly.

you will rarely get more than what you pay for but you will often get less.

Last edited:
BTW i watched that video several days ago and was thinking that i do not have the patience for that level of using found materials.
Same. Apparently he makes custom racing kayaks and fiddles with machining and YouTube when it's slow.

Back