[Newbie] What thread size is this?

Depends on the quality or the tap. Some inexpensive taps aren't sharp. With plastics I find a a sharp tap works better to cut the threads cleanly rather than a duller tap that kinds of cuts & forms the threads. Worth a try & you might be ok. Since it's NPT and it's tapered you can tap deeper if the fit is too tight. Keep in mind with a tapered pipe thread tap you don't want to tap all the way to the end of the tap.
Okay, so with this I just tap until the tap comes through the other side? The established threads that is, not just the edge of the tap

Okay, so with this I just tap until the tap comes through the other side? The established threads that is, not just the edge of the tap

I would tap like halfway on the tap then test fit the male fitting. Then tap deeper if needed. I don't have a whole lot of NPT taps but with mine I find I only need to tap like 3/4 of the way but that's usually in metal.

3/4 is standard 3/4 of the tap thread that is

Last edited:
Most need tapped so the threaded pipe (or adapter) in this case is about 6 threads of engagement.

The general rule with a pipe tap is to allow 5 threads still showing on the shank end.

Last edited:
Could anyone help me with identifying the tap size and drill size for this thread?

While it's very likely 3/8 NPT, it could also be 3/8 NPS; both are the same pitch, 18 tpi, but for attaching with a nut,
the NPS isn't tapered (conical), but straight (cylindrical). An NPT die can convert it from an NPS, and I've had to do that
once or twice.

I'm just tapping plasting,

How thick is the plastic?
Why not just make your own tap. Buy a cast iron fitting with the same thread (3/8 MIP, NPT or whatever) and cut slots in it.
It will cut any plastic no problem.

Back