[Newbie] What thread size is this?

Macmandr197

Registered
Registered
20190125_135040.jpg

Could anyone help me with identifying the tap size and drill size for this thread? I'm trying to thread this fitting into a tank and need to know what tap to order. Let me know if you need more information!

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

3/8” NPT use 37/64 drill. Corrected!

Last edited:
NPT I was distracted with autocorrect!

Apparently MIP is Male Iron Pipe. FIP Female .....

Apparently MIP is Male Iron Pipe. FIP Female .....

It's the same thing as NPT. It's sometimes also called MPT & FPT... male/female pipe thread. Not sure why they came out with new names, maybe to identify them easier? I still call them NPT.

It's the same thing as NPT. It's sometimes also called MPT & FPT... male/female pipe thread. Not sure why they came out with new names, maybe to identify them easier? I still call them NPT.
still, would something like this work for my needs? I'm just tapping plasting, so I don't need super high quality. Amazon Link

Depends on the pressures and usage. It is fine for most air and water systems. We use for same type of systems at work. 125 psi air and 75 psi water.

still, would something like this work for my needs? I'm just tapping plasting, so I don't need super high quality. Amazon Link

Depends on the quality or the tap. Some inexpensive taps aren't sharp. With plastics I find a a sharp tap works better to cut the threads cleanly rather than a duller tap that kinds of cuts & forms the threads. Worth a try & you might be ok. Since it's NPT and it's tapered you can tap deeper if the fit is too tight. Keep in mind with a tapered pipe thread tap you don't want to tap all the way to the end of the tap.

Back