What size screws do you stock up on?

I agree with David S. I do not like looking for screws. I have 00-90 and up from when I was repairing model railroad engines. I have many small assorted screws for clock repair all sorted in plastic divided boxes. In hex head I have from 5-40 and up for building small engines. For clock case repair I also have a large selection of wood screws all sorted in individual divided plastic boxes. I also like to purchase in lots of 100 most purchases coming from eBay. I do have a problem purchasing slotted wood screws. Most nowadays they are phillip heads and antique clocks did not have phillip head screws so sometimes it is hard to keep things original when repairing cases.

That's another fastener I dislike- slotted wood screws. Ugg. o_O Only tangle with 'em when I absolutely have to
Mark S.

That's another fastener I dislike- slotted wood screws. Ugg. o_O Only tangle with 'em when I absolutely have to
Mark S.

Certainly agree Mark. However unfortunately I have many speciality fasteners that have slots. I curse them and use them.

David

According to my Pocket Ref there were more than 15 different 1/4" thread pitches made.

12-24 screws get pitched out of my shop as soon as they appear!

Threaded sections of the fastener at the joint shear plane is one of my major peeves.

Yep. But I wish that rule did not cause washers under every nut. Does on AN hardware anyway.

My biggest problem is having an employee grab several handfuls of something and then put away what is left over incorrectly. : SIGH:

Right. I get a nervous tic and want to strangle something (somebody??) when I find that in the bins.

Slotted screws are a pain but when restoring something it is important to keep it original or it is not a restoration.

12-24 screws get pitched out of my shop as soon as they appear!.
I have a special place for 12-24 and 12-28 screws and it's not the trash can! They get stored in a plastic container and kept in a sacred place where I can find them when needed. They are getting hard to find!
And yes, Bob is right, if you do any machine repair, they are a lifesaver! Now those Metric screws, well I would love to trash them, I find more and more times where I need one or two. Ken

Why?
I have never owned anything that needed 12-24s or 12-28 for that matter. Don't expect to. I understand and agree with the restoration argument. It just does not apply to me even though I do have some classic equipment.

Slotted screws are a pain but when restoring something it is important to keep it original or it is not a restoration.

Rocky,

Don't confuse Originality with Restoration, they are two completely different things. If you replace a part on an assembly with an accurate duplicate the assembly is restored, but no longer original. Something can only be original if it has never been replaced. Something can be restored and contain replacement items, but it is no longer original. Now, you can replace parts on an assembly with another original part and maintain originality.

Why?
I have never owned anything that needed 12-24s or 12-28 for that matter. Don't expect to. I understand and agree with the restoration argument. It just does not apply to me even though I do have some classic equipment.
When you run across them, send them to either me or Bob, we'll take them off your hands. That way you don't have to worry about them.

Back