What size screws do you stock up on?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
You must have some preference when choosing screws even though the type of projects dictates (to an extend) what type of fasteners ought to be used but when you must have a few sizes and types that you use the most.

I'm just curious what others stock up on when they go shopping for screws and why socket head cap screws are always the favorite by so many.

I always have 10-32"x 3/4"and 1/4"-20,,x2" and some 3/8"-16 mostly socket head cap screws and some flat and button cap screws handy, like to have some stainless steel but usually don't buy them unless I need them.

Last edited:
Most of my work is in imperial so keep a stock of everything from 0-80, 1-72,.....on up to 1/2" coarse and fine. A number are socket heads, but have all sorts of heads. Also a crude assortment of smaller metric fasteners.

Oh and I tend to stock the longest size with full thread, and then cut down as required.

David

Last edited:
You have to realize some of the people here work on monster size projects, some not so big, and others micro.
So the answers will vary.
I have 2-56 to 1/2-13
most in steel zinc coated and black oxide on most of the smaller and upto 5/16.
a box or 2 of 1/4-20 in SS socket. So head shape varies. Most are machine , socket, a small amount are flat head. And many are cap . Lengths are all over the place, most under 1" until the larger size. But of course I stock longer ins the smaller just in case, just not as many.
Same with wood screws all over the place. I have lucked out at some garage and estate sales and bought new boxes for pennies on the dollar.

Have a fair stock of both IMP and Metric built by sourcing at least a few extra of every size that I need for projects through the years.
Never seem to have all the sizes that I need so the stockpile continues to grow.
Most I would buy locally but McMaster-Carr still gets business from Canada but it means that you fill orders with extras to take full advantage of the horrendous shipping charges to get them across the border to the Great White North.

I only stock what I need to buy..........But, if I need only one, I buy a box. That way I have them for the next project. I have a pretty good stock of 10-24 through 1/2-20 socket head screws in standard, flathead, and button head. I rarely use fine thread, so those are normally purchased by only what I need for the job. I am also using more metric, so that stock is increasing. In hex head, I only buy grade 8, and the same in washers and nuts. I also keep a pretty good stock of smaller machine screws 6-32 to 10-24.

As to why socket head screws, it's what you find in most machine assemblies and industrial stuff. Besides, I think it looks more professional. :) But that is just my opinion.

I have a fairly good selection of 6-32, 8-32, 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-20 and 5/16-18 mostly stainless that I have accumulated from working on my boats over the years.
I have some smaller screws most of which has been salvaged from stuff 4-40, 2-56 etc, and odds and ends of larger stuff up to about 5/8". I do have a decent selection of metric screws and nuts running from 4mm - 8mm, these are leftovers from one of my my Dad's businesses, he imported some power equipment from Germany in the late 1960's and early 1970's with JLO engines. I also have a rather large selection of wood screws, these also came from my Dad, I believe he purchased these as a large lot at an auction.

Bins and more bins , drawers too. All kinds and sizes from eye glass screws to over an inch . All lengths , types , and materials. Plus nuts washers and lock washers in several types. Grades up to eight . One thing I will not accept the need to wait for hardware to be shipped . I pride my self for quick turn around on jobs. In my opinion it's not right to hold up a job for $2.00 in bolts.

You all reminded me to order some metric screws,just ordered some M3, M5, M6,of various lengths,they are handy to have when repairing Chinese machines:cower:.

You must have some preference when choosing screw

Everything between M4 and M14, many different sizes and mostly socket head screws. Occasionally use M16 or more. Imperials I use on a case by case basis when I am absolutely unable to use metric.

Usethe right size for a given application. ALWAYS purchase at least a box (100 or more). In ten years, the answer to "what do you keep" is "all of them".

The only issue is storage.

Back