What should I include in my VFD enclosure?

The confusion is over. If anyone has trouble identifying how to connect the control pad remotely to the Hitachi SJ200 series VFD, the little male RJ45 extension that connects the removable pad to the body of the unit snaps out in the manner of a typical RJ45 connector. The little coupler comes out and then a standard CAT5 or 5e patch chord may be installed.

The confusion was cleared up by locating a different edition of the O&M manual (on line as opposed to the print version that came with the unit). The on line detail showed how the little connector snaps out. I do recommend always being extremely careful with printed circuit boards, etc. I was very apprehension of prying and pulling on this connector without concise instructions.
Geoff Morgan

So it was a male-male adapter?

That is correct, it appears to be a custom made little spud. The "second edition" handbook I found has illustrations of how to remove it and install the standard male RJ45 connector. Guess Hitachi figured out a lot of end users weren't that sophisticated as to the configuration. That sure includes me!
So far the unit is operating very well. The motor seems to develop full torque over the operating range. I chucked up a 17/32" drill and just went hogging into a piece of cold rolled with nice curly chips and plenty of feed. If this is an indication, this is going to be a very useful machine.
Thanks, Geoff

I pretty much added what you mentioned in the OP: a POT, and a master ON/OFF switch to cut input into VFD to turn it off at the of day:as an FYI - I drilled a 1" hole on top, and one on the bottom to allow fresh air to circulate in the box (hot air goes up, cool air comes from bottom) to prevent overheating of the VFD.
View attachment 48163
No problem with heat build up then?
Do you think much dirt can get to it through the vent holes?
Where did you get the box, and are they expensive?

No problem with heat build up then?

I didn't encounter any heat build up as of yet, I also run smaller projects, and don't really have it on 24/7, but when I do work, the VFD is on for the duration of my shop time and its running like a champ. The VFD itself has a fan that circulates the air and in my setting seems to be sufficient. If your VFD generates more heat, you can always add an additional 12v (computer type) fan to the enclosure to help circulate the air faster.

Do you think much dirt can get to it through the vent holes?

yes, dirt, and chips could get through those holes, a better approach is to place a mesh on those holes to keep chips (less concerned about non-conductive dirt personally) at bay. This is on my to-do list (2 miles long list and growing). FWIW, the VFD itself is enclosed in it's own chasis, so for the time being I'm comfortable running it as-is

Where did you get the box, and are they expensive?

I was cheap and impulsive. I didn't know where to find "proper" NEMA enclosures, and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg getting one, so I got this one from the local BORG - it is an outdoor high-voltage electric junction box that seemed to fit the sizing I needed perfectly. I think it was 20 something $ ... been a while.

Thanks,
Sounds good, Yeah, $20.00 isn't bad. I know some of those NEMA enclosures are expensive. I don't want to pay what I paid for the VFD for a box!
BTY, I have the TECO JNEV series, 101 H1.
This is on my wood lathe.
Thinking of getting the same set up for my 10" Logan.

I haven't done any serious work with the Arboga/Hitachi set up yet, but so far it has impressed me. I bent up an aluminum enclosure from 0.065" 3003 sheet ($5). A friend of mine has a little HF brake/shear/roll unit and we used that to bend up the box. Hoffman boxes are very high and have no louvers. I paid $25 for some louvers and they are not as I would like them, I got ripped. The operator misunderstood and punched them in the wrong place!

The HF press is rated for 20 gauge steel but it handled the aluminum without much of a whimper. I installed an auxiliary fan with a temperature sensor/switch set for 94 degrees F which should hold the cabinet below the maximum 104 degrees. Swarf will have to work to get to the VFD through the outside grill and the auxiliary fan. Geoff

Here's my two VFD boxes. One has two VFDs for a Maximat lathe with a vertical mill head. I have an E-Stop for everything and a separate power switch for the mill VFD because the fan never stops on that one. Power to this box is from a separate magnetic switch that's not in the picture. The box is an old alarm box. I drilled holes in the top and bottom for ventilation. I don't think chips will get in though.
IMG_1405.jpg

The other VFD is on the mill. This was a partially drilled Hoffman box I got from a surplus place for $20. I cut the top and bottom out to put in screens for ventilation. I cut up rain gutter screens from the hardware store. The Estop for this is in a box just out of the shot to the left.
IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_1405.jpg IMG_2698.JPG

Back