What order should I buy these tools in?

See, the problem here is that you don't buy a tool. You buy the first branch on a tree of tools.

Take the QCTP. Somewhere between $60 and $600, depending on size and if you're comfortable around Chinesium or not.

The QTCP begets the need to buy tool holders. Which begets the need to buy tools. Which begets the need to buy indexable bits. <sigh> And, I don't even get into knurler, cut-off tools and boring bars. It is almost as bad as reading Genesis 11.

Good choice. Now you need to decide which one. This boils down to USA made (expensive) or Chinese
(Less expensive.) There are a number of threads on this topic, but I will assume you want to save some $$$.

I've had good results with the Chinese tool holders from All Industrial, which sells their stuff on eBay. Quality
is good and the prices are very good as well:

I like All Industrial and Shars.

You pay a bit more for Shars, but the quality has been good and their customer service will help with any issues you find.

+8 at least from the comments above about getting the QCTP first. You are going to change tools a lot more in a lathe than you will end mills, drills, etc. in your mill. I've been very happy with the QCTP that came with my Grizzly G0709 (piston style) and a wedge style from All Industrial Tool. Mine are BXA sizes, most of my tool holders are from CDCOTools.com. You'll see comments about the set screws being garbage, but I've not had a problem with any of the 60+ QC tool holders from CDCO.

For tool holders with carbide inserts, I've had very good luck with eBay seller "zimi-hk". Shipping is usually 3 weeks or less.

By the way, if you get the QCTP first, you'll likely have to machine a nut blank to size for the compound on your lathe. QCTPs are common above the compound, but below the compound the T-slot for the nut is different depending on the lathe manufacturer. Typically it's pretty basic mill work. Measure the T-slot on the compound and cut a couple of rabbets in the supplied nut plate. Make sure that the top surface of the T-nut does not extend above the surface of the compound, leave 0.005-0.010" clearance.

Bruce

I would recommend the QCTP first. Also buy as many holders as you can afford. It will immediately save time. But you will find that having dedicated holders for most common turning and boring jobs will save even more.

I use 5C collets for the lathe, in collet blocks, in grinding spin fixtures and milling index fixtures. I have a full set of 64ths collets and some square and hex. Also special adapters 5c to BS or MT, expanding etc. etc. The big mistake I made was not buying a full set of round collets in one shot. Over time, I spent much more than I would have if I had paid for the full set. Lessons learned.

As for the ER collets, I'm conflicted. I disagree that ER collets replace 5C. For one thing, I don't think you can feed bar stock through them. But I will concede the clamping range for ER exceeds 5C. I think of them as better milling cutter holders than for use on lathes and fixturing. I have considered buying them for my M-Head BP. But haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I agree with what others have said about the rotary table. I have never used one. Although I have had a couple of times when it would have been nice. Still haven't found the need to pull the trigger on one yet. I could always find another way or borrow one from a buddy if the need arose.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

As for the ER collets, I'm conflicted. I disagree that ER collets replace 5C. For one thing, I don't think you can feed bar stock through them. But I will concede the clamping range for ER exceeds 5C. I think of them as better milling cutter holders than for use on lathes and fixturing. I have considered buying them for my M-Head BP. But haven't pulled the trigger yet.

You can, indeed, pass stock through an ER collet. It is one of the key features of an ER chuck/collet system when used on the lathe. You are right in that the ER collet system was intended to be a tool holding system, not work holding. However, they are quite accurate when used with accurately turned or ground stock, which is when you really want to use them. They also grab threaded stock without damaging the threads. A full set of import ER collets is reasonably cheap, as are the chucks that are now available to hold them. If cost is a concern, the ER system is far cheaper than 5C. If the work is long enough to reach into the collet by 3/4 of its length then the ER collet should also be more accurate and rigid.

I think an ER chuck on a lathe has limited utility. A 4 jaw is potentially more accurate. Where ER chucks excel is when holding accurately turned or threaded stock for second operations. For that matter, in a hobby shop where we usually work with stock that we have at hand and that may or may not be nominal, I don't find the 5C system all that useful, either. A 3 jaw is faster for me, a 4 jaw is more accurate.

I installed an ER 40 set-tru chuck on my Logan about 6 months ago, and I could not be happier. While a 4 jaw
chuck may be ultimately more accurate, that doesn't mean that that level of accuracy is required for every job,
and with the set-tru chuck, my set up is very good. I'm finding that I use it a great deal, and of course if I need
the 4-jaw, it's still available.

When you buy a RT don't go too small. You need enough space on the top to accommodate clamps.

Back