What order should I buy these tools in?

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
I have a list of tools I’d like to buy. This is a just because list (just because I want them) Be nice to buy them all at once but not gonna happen. I have a Grizzly G0768 and a G0704. The list is:
QCTP for the lathe.
ER40 collet set and chucks for both
Rotary table with indexing plates, Chuck, Tail piece, clamp kit
Thanks

QCTP and a decent 3 & 4 jaw chuck for the lathe
Then maybe the ER40 set?
Rotary Table is expensive and most work can be done without one using much cheaper stuff like collet blocks. That being said, if you need it, you need it.

I'm personally a fan of 5C collets for the lathe and 5C collet blocks on the mill. Used them all the time at school but never ponied up the money for my own set yet.

I'll second the ER40 chucks for both lathe and mill, unless you're a real workaholic you wont need two full sets. I have one (incomplete) set use it on both. I bought one or two colletls at a time, as I needed them. one day delivery from McMaster/Carr, I can wait a day....Also have hex and square blocks, ER40.

Grizzly has a special program for when you are spending more than $5,000 in a single order. Ask customer service about this--it will save you some money.

Do NOT get the Grizzly collet tooling that looks like ER-40--it is not ER-40 but something else closely resembling ER-40. I got my replacement real ER-40 chucks and collets from somewhere I forgot. The R8 mill collet holder measured out small than one can read on the dial indicator, the MT5 lathe collet has a single position where its runout is down under 0.000,3. I also got the kit with 25 collets in a case. The R8 collet holder was about $40 and 25 collets under $200.

I have a list of tools I’d like to buy. This is a just because list (just because I want them) Be nice to buy them all at once but not gonna happen. I have a Grizzly G0768 and a G0704. The list is:
QCTP for the lathe.
ER40 collet set and chucks for both
Rotary table with indexing plates, Chuck, Tail piece, clamp kit
Thanks
I think you have them in the right order already.
I bought a ER40 set tru chuck from Shars last year and am very happy with it. You might look at those.

This is fun. A member posts "what tools should I buy"? Let the games begin!

I have a set of 5C collets, with the blocks for the mill, and the chuck for the lathe. They get used "maybe" on 1/4 of the jobs, but probably less.
The QCTP gets a workout EVERY time the lathe fires up, regardless of the workholding fixture on the spindle:big grin:

The 5C setup makes you buy more collets due to their individual lack of range. If I were to buy in again, I would go for an ER setup.

A buddy just bought a rotary table, and has had so much fun I cannot hide my envy.
Still not on the top of my list.

Fear not, we will always be here to help you spend the kid's inheritance:eek 2:

Rotary tables are very expensive, so take your time deciding on that item.
Be wary of the import collets and chucks, there's some real junk out there. I like to buy from Little Machine Shop, they are good about taking things back if there is a problem
-Mark

I would definitely get the QCTP first. Since this is for a hobby, you can skip buying a collet set and buy as you need them since the sets are not much cheaper than buying individual, unless you know you will use most of the range right away, or you can’t wait when you need a size you don’t have. This will free up money for other tools or tool holders you will need and not spent on something sitting unused in your drawer.

Back