What oil to use Sheldon 13 inch

Keep in mind the Sheldon Machine Company went out of business in 1982. John Knox was around for another 40 years. Lubricants made vast improvements between 1982 and 2022

The 10W-30 motor oil of the 1980’s is far different than what’s sold today

Keep in mind the Sheldon Machine Company went out of business in 1982. John Knox was around for another 40 years. Lubricants made vast improvements between 1982 and 2022

The 10W-30 motor oil of the 1980’s is far different than what’s sold today
Yes, and it's still a detergent oil which holds contaminants in suspension which is exactly what you don't want in a lathe. If motor oil was really better for machines we would see some/most lathe manufacturers specify that type of oil, but they don't.

Most manuals for lathes made since detergent oil became common very clearly specify non-detergent oils for a reason.

Detergent oil is intended to keep the particles in suspension so they can get trapped by a filter...which isn't the case here.

Well, I hadn't thought about the possibility of holding metallic dust in suspension but that would be another difference between HD engine oil and non-detergent oil. The difference that I see quoted most often involves the detergent designed to scavenge moisture (water) from the oil in the sump until the next time that the engine is run and the elevated operating temperature blows the water out the tailpipe. So that would be two reasons not to use Hi-detergent engine oil in a machine whose operating temperature never gets much above ambient.

One other significant difference between the operating conditions of most lathes or mills and most typical IC engine is that the latter almost always includes a pump and filter to re-circulate the oil and to remove the fines from the oil stream. Whereas most machine tools do not. The majority of lathes and mills only use the oil a few times as it drips slowly through the machine and out onto the oil pan or other surface beneath the machine. Generally, only the larger and usually much more expensive machine have a sump and and pump to recirculate the lube oil.

However, everyone is free to do as they prefer.

By the way, I have recently seen it written several times that SAE 20 is "the same as" ISO 46. Actually, the definitions of SAE gradesare fairly broad and both ISO 46 and ISO 68 fall within the viscosity range of SAE 20. I have for years used a Mobile Circulating oil rated as ISO 68 when the shelves were bare of any containers that said "SAE 20"..

Back