What Milling Machine Vise Will You Buy

I've never felt comfortable with the stability/solidity of swivel/tilt vises. Unless I need an angle I use the vise flat on the table without the swivel base. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, too sensitive. But that 's me.

I recently bought an older used 5" (Kurt knockoff) Enco vise and disassembled it for cleaning. The ball thrust bearing on the shaft was pretty well shot, so I went searching for a manual. No joy at Enco. Grizzly has one - the G7154. But I noticed that this one does not list a thrust bearing in its parts manual! I'm starting to wonder if this is true of other recently produced mill vises. It might be worthwhile for a prospective purchaser to check on this.

PS - There was a number on the bearing. It's obsolete, but I found a modern equivalent on eBay.

I can't recall a vise where the T slot groove was 5/8" wide. I always have to machine 5/8" T slot blocks to something like 1/2" to get them into the groove. Sometimes I just turn round "buttons" that fit the grooves and the T slots from drill rod. They are not as good as rectangular T slot blocks as they do not have long surfaces which are better for wear,but they work fine for me and still fit the T slots snugly after years of use.

I have had no problem with them getting the vise perfectly aligned when I put it back onto the mill.
these are the little blocks that came with my vise. they are just about 18mm on the nose. I do plan on fixing them at some point but it's just not a priority, I had to search my junk box for them.2015-03-08%2018.23.59.jpg

Plus another 1 for Glacern. I have one and it is a very nice vise for the money, even better when they are on sale. They usually have a March Madness sale during the NCAA tournaments. That is when I bought mine for 100.00 off.
CH

I use a Shars cnc 440v and it is very accurate has a 4" vice jaw with a 6" max opening and is on a manual and at time cnc machine. I am not using a swivel base right now. The specs on this one are better than just their basic model.

I would spend the money on a Kurt, at least you wont getting your parts coming loose and it will hold a tolerance. Tim

I to have Kurt 6". If you watch auctions you can find them at a reasonable price. I got one for $80 in very good condition. Around here (Michigan) they appear to be going for $75-$150.
After using a Kurt, I won't go back to anything else. If fact I think I will put in in my will to have it buried with me. :D

I've never felt comfortable with the stability/solidity of swivel/tilt vises. Unless I need an angle I use the vise flat on the table without the swivel base. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, too sensitive. But that 's me.

I definitely agree with your opinion !

I've had pretty good luck with this little vise, with a rotating base, on my horizontal mill and I'm surprised at how sturdy it has been. As you can see, those chips result from an aggressive cut.

I guess the trick is to keep everything tight and - maybe more importantly - make sure that the cutting pressure is against the stationary jaw of the vise, not the movable one !

I'm NOT recommending a vise with a rotating base but it can be helpful occasionally.

P1010949.jpg

I recently purchased a Shars 440V. I'm fully satisfied with it, it meets it's advertised specs. I'm using it on an Enco RF30 Mill/Drill, and I don't see what spending an extra $200 on a Glacern, or an extra $300 on a Kurt would get me, other than bragging rights. For occasional use as a hobby machinist, it will do everything I will ever need it to do. IMHO,YMMV, etc.

Back