What Milling Machine Vise Will You Buy

Andy Rafferty

Registered
Registered
Okay, I can't afford the "K brand" so please share your opinions of what you will or won't buy again. I truly appreciate your opinions. 6" Jaws going on a 3HP Supermax Vertical Knee Mill. Thanks for your time.

This is what I wound up buying. The only downside I have found is the little t-slot blocks it comes with do not fit a 5/8" t-slot. Also it does not come with it's own toe clamps like some of the bigger brand names do. One feature it could use is a threaded hole for a work stop but these are minor things really. As far as accuracy it is close enough to advertised as far as I can tell because I do not have a test gauge to read beyond .001". given my budget and accuracy of my machine, this vise was more than adequate for my needs despite the issues noted.

I have a Glacern myself but the Homge vises that Quality Machine Tools carries are pretty nice. Next on my list for budget vises would probably be Vertex.

I just bought an Acculock QM16 vice and although I haven't used it, or have any experience with any other vices, this one does show the typical signs of mass production. It is quite solid and the clamping action feels nice, but I took it apart to clean and re-lubricate it properly. The milled surfaces are a bit rough to my liking and attention to detail lacks. Just about all edges are pretty rough and there is no reference pointer to show the angle on the swivel base.
It was rather cheap, however and I'm sure it will do for the type of work I intend to do.

http://www.tradeindia.com/fp1212526/Accu-lock-Precision-Machine-Vices-QM16.html

I just bought a shars 6" and I am happy with it. To me, it seems like the quality for the price couldnt be beat.
I do however have nothing to compare it to, as I am a noob to machining and have never owned or even looked at another vice. I have seen some pictures on here of shoddy equipment and all and all the shars stuff seems to be on the high end of the affordable stuff. I have two chucks (6" and 8") from them also and I am very happy with them.

Same here on funding for a Vise.... So much to buy. I bought this w/ a 20% coupon AND it qualifies for free shipping!!! Many/ most do not qualify. So this wasa GREAT deal. It's 75+ pounds and BIG! Perfect for the full size SuperMax.... And even fits the ShopMaster Patriot tabletop. Glad I bought it. The unit 1/2 open specs to .002 square and about the same all the way open. For me it was a great addition!
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=KT404-3027

I can't recall a vise where the T slot groove was 5/8" wide. I always have to machine 5/8" T slot blocks to something like 1/2" to get them into the groove. Sometimes I just turn round "buttons" that fit the grooves and the T slots from drill rod. They are not as good as rectangular T slot blocks as they do not have long surfaces which are better for wear,but they work fine for me and still fit the T slots snugly after years of use.

I have had no problem with them getting the vise perfectly aligned when I put it back onto the mill.

I have a Palmgren 8" vise that tilts and rotates. In my part of the world, 6" Kurts go for around 200$ to 300$. Although Kurt is top shelf, they are plenty of good brands that will do the job. Some are Bridgeport, Cincinnati, Wilton, etc.
I would advise a good name brand with at least a swivel base. A tilt option would be better. A tilt/swivel vise makes odd cuts so much easier.

Happy trails!

Back