What makes the MicroLux 7x16 lathe 2X 3X more $$$$ than the other 7x16 ?

Micro Mark does offer a different lead screw from the others that offers actual inch measurement instead of the close but not quite metric lead screw with inch dials.

There are numerous small detail differences, motor power, included tooling, cam vs wrench tailstock lock, metal vs plastic hand wheels etc. They all look the same but there are lots of small differences between models and brands.

Assume you refer to the cross-slide and top-slide (compound) screws, and not the carriage 16 tpi leadscrew. Nice feature but I always measure when getting close, and by that I don't mean a few thousandths. 8^)

Small differences in features - on the same bed, headstock, and tailstock castings.

One thing to note on the Grizzly 7x14 - a much more robust tailstock. That tailstock might be seen on a few other Real Bull lathes by other vendors.

The LMS lathes allow inch and metric threading which is not common for the low price offerings. The cheapos do metric only.
I don't understand this statement. A few minutes with the LMS online calculator for change gears will show that machines with either 16TPI or 1.5mm pitch leadscrews can cut metric and 'inch' threads. If needed, extra change gears are available to buy or can be 3D printed. Metric leadscrews don't work as easily with thread dials, so most users just keep the half-nuts engaged throughout the threading operations - but many users do this for threading anyway. When I cut metric threads with my MicroLux (MicroMark) 'Tru-Inch' Sieg lathe, I keep the half-nuts engaged.

If just getting started you may not want repair a used lathe first.
True, But, if you get lucky the previous owner will have fixed a few of the worst problems for you. But some direct questioning of the seller would be advised. :)

Thanks all…
Im just looking around. I have a 12x20 in the shed. Down side is no heat or Power in the shed, running of generator when weather is good.

Space in house is limitted.
Basically a 8x10 room sharing space with oil tank, furnace and HWT. Along with small tool box.

Getting power to the shed 300’ away is not really in the works.
Money better spent on machining/tooling
100% hobby work

I don't understand this statement. A few minutes with the LMS online calculator for change gears will show that machines with either 16TPI or 1.5mm pitch leadscrews can cut metric and 'inch' threads. If needed, extra change gears are available to buy or can be 3D printed. Metric leadscrews don't work as easily with thread dials, so most users just keep the half-nuts engaged throughout the threading operations - but many users do this for threading anyway. When I cut metric threads with my MicroLux (MicroMark) 'Tru-Inch' Sieg lathe, I keep the half-nuts engaged.
I'll concede your point. My point was many of the extreme low cost options don't offer imperial threads out of the box, and it is up to the buyer to a) know of the existence of LMS and b) find their calculator and c) get the appropriate gears. It's not hard at all, if you know a few things, but may not be apparent to a brand new inexperienced person. When I cut metric, I keep the half nuts engaged as well.

As with many lower cost offerings it is buyer be aware. One may not get as much, simply because of the price point. As long as people know that, have fun with whatever decision is made.

Any of the China made machines and tooling are like rolling the dice. Sometimes you’re lucky and other times it is a piece of junk. The one important part of the purchase we sometimes forget about is the dealer. If the dealer is out of china and you have a problem, good luck. If it is a dealer with a good reputation like Precision Mathew you stand a good chance of having any problems resolved.

As with many lower cost offerings it is buyer be aware. One may not get as much, simply because of the price point. As long as people know that, have fun with whatever decision is made.
Absolutely. I've found that I actually enjoy 'fixing up' the 7x lathe, so for me it's part of this new hobby. If you follow the groups devoted to the 7x Chinese lathes, you will notice that the machine owners are pretty much divided into two groups - the 'solve problems, fix-er-up and modify and build accessories' crowd and the folks who are unhappy and complain about 'POS'/'junk' machines. If you want to unpack the lathe and start producing 'stuff', those Chinese 7x and 8x machines- even from LMS or MicroMark- are probably not the best choice, IMO.

Also if your primary concern is size rather than weight, you might look at some of the 8x16 or 9x20 lathes. Similar foot print, and price to the 7x16s but generally seem to have better quality control. Significant weight increase though with the 8x16s running around 150lbs and the 9x20 250lbs.
I was going to suggest the same… like a Grizzly G4000. But he is buying used, so not sure what deal he is getting on the one he is looking at…

My point was many of the extreme low cost options don't offer imperial threads out of the box, and it is up to the buyer to a) know of the existence of LMS and b) find their calculator and c) get the appropriate gears. It's not hard at all, if you know a few things, but may not be apparent to a brand new inexperienced person.
I agree. There's no single complete 'Guidebook' to using one of those small lathes (or mills either). And the 'manual that came with the Vevor 7x14 I bought was not very extensive, to put it politely. :) LMS has some reasonable user guides to download, but -as you say- the new Vevor owner may not know how to get to the resources on the internet.
Twenty years ago, an online search would actually turn up the answer to most questions; nowadays it's generally just page after page of 'for sale' ads. So it can be a frustrating experience for the novice buyer of a 7x lathe - to realize that the machine 'as delivered' can't actually do much.

And, using a metal lathe is a lot more complicated than using a tablesaw or wood router. I think a lot of new 7x lathe owners don't appreciate the the long "Learn this' list of skills needed. If learning isn't fun for you, it's the wrong hobby. :)

Back