What makes the MicroLux 7x16 lathe 2X 3X more $$$$ than the other 7x16 ?

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Was looking around for a small lathe that I could use in my basement. 7x16 is about the max I have room for . Came across a used microlux 7x16 but its 2-3x more than the other 7x16 I see. New or used?

MicroLux and LMS 7x16 lathes are very high priced - IMO. They were about the first to add the "high torque" brushless motors - so no two-speed gears in the headstock. These motor are now on lathes by other less service oriented vendors.

LMS adds the 4-inch spindle. MicroLux has "true-inch" dials - made possible by inch vs metric threaded cross-slide and top-slide. Four-inch spindles are now seen on other mini-lathes now.

Good service is their main benefit to buyers. Quality of fit and finish are similar to other vendor lathes. There are exceptions though - and random problems likely will be present - some easily fixed, some not.

BTW, Grizzly has become much higher priced of late also. They also have good service.

I think other lathe options are more viable at this price level.

Since the above vendors margins are probably better, than the low cost providers, they provide good service, at least in the case of LMS. They have provided me a couple of parts gratis, including an apron gear and paint for my 7x16. Generally, they are very responsive to questions, and maintain a lot of parts in inventory. Fit and finish may be better. I still use my 7x16 for some operations over my 10x22, since I have yet to adapt some of my tooling for the larger lathe. My spindle bearings were very good and the lathe spindle has sub 0.0001" TIR. The parts that LMS sells really do fit, I've never had to modify any of them. The LMS lathes allow inch and metric threading which is not common for the low price offerings. The cheapos do metric only.

For my 10x22 Grizzly lathe, that I purchased used, I have found parts are still generally available from Grizzly, but that model is still current. However, the replacement parts were definitely not the same quality as what my lathe came with, the finish was inferior and needed work to go into service.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the bottom of the barrel stuff, unless you are pretty good at machining already and have experience fixing marginal designs. The super cheap stuff sort of works, but it's area of operation is even more limited than the already diminished capability of the mini-lathe platform. To bring the low end stuff up to snuff (if it is possible) requires a level of inventiveness and creativity that many do not possess. If you do have that talent, by all means go for it.

I learned a whole lot on my LMS 7x16, it's both capable (if adjusted properly) and limited (due to it's basic design). I don't regret my purchase one bit as I got a whole lot out of it.

Basically as above.

If you want something “Ready to use” the LMS and micro lux are the way to go.

If you want a pre assembled kit of parts the cheap machines are a good place to start if you have the knowledge and skills to fix what it not correct on these.

I would still disassemble and clean/lube either option before use.

The mill table I bought through LMS was fairly gtg out of the box, but it needed (imo) further cleaning and the monkey snot lube removed and replaced with 68 way lube.

I have an LMS 5100 lathe. No better than my first mini-lathe (SIEG Homier) for fit and finish. Headstock was out of alignment by 0.001 inch per 1 inch of bed. Too many small defect on machined/ground surfaces caused by careless factory handling.

I have an LMS 5500 mill. Two LMS techs had no idea about the chatter and vibration, except to replace the spindle pulley (which I had suggested to them that I was considering). I finally determined (from an old post here) the interface between the coarse and fine feed was out of wack.

Point is any example from any vendor may be good or bad. And those adjective's definitions will be relative to any particular owners requirements or desires.

The LMS lathes allow inch and metric threading which is not common for the low price offerings. The cheapos do metric only.
That depends on what leadscrew the vendor specified. If the lathe has a 16 tpi leadscrew, the threading capability will be the same.

Certainly something to look at in the images and specifications. Used to be that most US bound mini-lathes had the 16 tpi leadscrew. But things change.

Was looking around for a small lathe that I could use in my basement. 7x16 is about the max I have room for . Came across a used microlux 7x16 but its 2-3x more than the other 7x16 I see. New or used?
See what comes with lathe.
I have seen in November mini lathes from $400 to over $3,000.

If just getting started you may not want repair a used lathe first.

The tool post on mini lathes are not very good may think of upgrading.

Good luck
Dave

See what comes with lathe.
I have seen in November mini lathes from $400 to over $3,000.

If just getting started you may not want repair a used lathe first.

The tool post on mini lathes are not very good may think of upgrading.

Good luck
Dave

To see a $3000 mini-lathe must mean a machine well outside the form of the 7x mini-lathe.

Mini-lathe package contents are much more limited than they were ten years ago. Some used to have fixed-steady, traveling-steady, faceplate, tailstock drill chuck, 4-jaw chuck, etc. Now very few have anything at all. LMS does not even have a drill-chuck.

Defining the 4-way tool post as "not very good" depends on whether that means rigidity or flexibility. It is not so flexible or easy to access several cutting tools quickly. But it is very rigid - mine is relegated full-time to a scissors-type knurling tool.

Who sells a 7x16 other than LMS and Micro Mark? I think the extra length alone accounts for some of the price increase, the others out there being 7x12" or 7x14".

LMS sells the Seig C3 7x14 for $999 vs $1299 for their 5100 7x16". Grizzly sells their G8688 7x12" for $925, and G0765 7x14" for $995, Harbor Frieght's 7x12 is $799. Now Micro Mark does sell their 7x16 for $1800 but it is on near perpetual sale for $1500. Micro Mark does offer a different lead screw from the others that offers actual inch measurement instead of the close but not quite metric lead screw with inch dials.

There are numerous small detail differences, motor power, included tooling, cam vs wrench tailstock lock, metal vs plastic hand wheels etc. They all look the same but there are lots of small differences between models and brands.

The only people selling a 7x12 or 7x14 for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the LMS 5100 are ebay sellers and Vevor who have little overhead or post sales support. That lack of overhead accounts for a lot of the price difference.

Also if your primary concern is size rather than weight, you might look at some of the 8x16 or 9x20 lathes. Similar foot print, and price to the 7x16s but generally seem to have better quality control. Significant weight increase though with the 8x16s running around 150lbs and the 9x20 250lbs.

Back