What makes the MicroLux 7x16 lathe 2X 3X more $$$$ than the other 7x16 ?

FYI
I down size my lathe in November
I did purchase a new mini lathe from Walmart for $600.00 and add about $200.00 in tooling.
The lathe works great and is a lot cheaper than a $2,000 lathe that almost same.

Dave
Which one did you get? It's good to know what models are decent, since there's countless numbers of folks considering them. Then we in turn can give better advice.

FYI
I down size my lathe in November
I did purchase a new mini lathe from Walmart for $600.00 and add about $200.00 in tooling.
The lathe works great and is a lot cheaper than a $2,000 lathe that almost same.

Dave

For those in the market, which model did you purchase?

Link would be nice.

I What Im realizing is a second lathe is needed when trying to fix the first, lol
:) Just yesterday I had a 'conversation' online in the facebook 7x group with another user about this same thing. I already had a working Microlux 7x14 when I (impulse) bought a Vevor 7x14. Having a second lathe was handy when doing mods/fixing up the Vevor. The other fellow bought a Sieg C3 to help in renovating an older sieg 7x lathe.

I dont come by much of anything used locally that is worth buying. Right now its either “fully restored” for big bucks or needs restoration for big bucks.
Almost everything is lacking of tooling or parts.
That's the situation here as well. I think some sellers are trying to cash in on nostalgia for the good old days (and anti-Chinese sentiment) by listing clapped-out rusty old lathes for $2k and up. Every time I see one of those ads, I realize how lucky I was to buy a Logan 210 at a good price a couple of years ago.

I think we do underestimate the cost and 'potential risk' of these small (sometimes teensy) changes when applied at scale in manufacturing.
Excellent comments, IMO. Beyond discussion about product improvements for customer convenience ....If a company can make money selling defective products, why change anything? The present-day management team won't feel the impact of a slow decline in the company's reputation; they will have moved on to other corporations to earn their bonuses there. Off-topic example- 'Self-loosening' chucks in Milwaukee cordless drills - I was surprised to find that this problem (which I'm experiencing) has been known and reported to Milwaukee (and the topic of YT videos and online postings) for at least 3 years. Returning a drill under warranty gets an identical defective replacement. Sorry for the mini-rant; back to the scheduled program.... :)

It's good to hear of positive experiences with the cheaper 7x machines. The $500 Vevor I bought definitely needed some 'work'- though most of the stuff I did to it was strictly optional improvements. Buy some lottery tickets- perhaps your winning streak will continue! :)

That's the situation here as well. I think some sellers are trying to cash in on nostalgia for the good old days (and anti-Chinese sentiment) by listing clapped-out rusty old lathes for $2k and up. Every time I see one of those ads, I realize how lucky I was to buy a Logan 210 at a good price a couple of years ago.
Sadly long before I had a house/shed/money or interest you could pick up lathes/mills dirt cheap around here. The machine shops where up grading. Many lathes and mills where just put outside under tarps. Then maybe mid 2000s many shops around here closed, that was the last if a good rush of older machines and tooling at good prices.

The stage that seems to be in cycle right now is get all the money or let it rot.

Back