What kind of pliers are these?

Yes. You wrap the safety wire through and around a holed nut and an anchor point lock the pliers over two ends of the wire, and pull the rod which is an a coarse screw thread twisting the wire. Poor description but used extensively in aircraft construction.

Safety wire keeps nuts and bolts from loosening and falling off which is something you don't want to happen on an airplane

I started out my military career as a helicopter mechanic and those were standard issue in each tool box.

Can't tell from the way you photographed it, but looks like it might be missing the end piece that was pulled to spin the pliers.

In addition to lacing wire (my main use), they are also called ironworker's pliers for rebar tying. They are amazingly useful when paired with some proper stainless lacing wire, you can come up with all sorts of solutions to missing clips and slipping hoses as well as locking fasteners down.

Those are aviation wire twisting pliars. I have four of them and they are one of my go to tools
used with stainless steel wire usually .041 or .032 or even .020 for fine work. They are handy
for tight spaces for aviation or even non-aviation applications. :encourage:

We used to refer to them as lockwire pliers. Used everywhere on aircraft fasteners when I was still in the military. Literally a lifesaver (for fingers) when wiring exhaust blankets wire 40 thou lockwire.

Civvie street knows them as safety wire pliers.

It does look like it's missing the knob/handle on the end of the handle portion.....

Back