What kind of metal should a tailstock spacer be made of?

strantor

Active User
Registered
I got an old lath that came with the incorrect tailstock. The tailstock it came with is probably 2" too short, 2" too narrow, and the way grooves are reverse from what they ought to be. So I need to put a block of something under it, with way grooves on the bottom that match my lathe bed, and way grooves on the top that match my tailstock. The question is, what kind of metal should this be? Is aluminum good enough or do I need steel or cast iron or other?

I would use gray cast iron http://www.dura-bar.com/. Many times when I am looking for something like a tailstock, I go to Google and type Craigslist Altas lathe tailstock and enter. If anyone in the country is selling one on there you might get lucky. You may want to put a wanted ad on our For-Sale - Wanted forum. Be sure you have the lathe brand, model number, serial number, some photos and some rough measurements of the bed. Good luck .. Rich

Nothing but cast iron will do. Anything else,even steel,will wear soon by sliding the tailstock across the bed. Cast iron has a graphite content that makes it resist wear. It sounds like your tailstock will be too dinky to be used on a larger lathe,even blocked up. Try to find the correct one on Ebay. Often,there are lathes being sold in pieces there,because sometimes selling the pieces brings more than selling the whole lathe.

Strantor,

I really think you should try to find the correct tailstock for you lathe. Machining a spacer for what you have, and getting it correct, is not an easy task. Have you checked with Joe at Plaza Machinery?

Steve

One question before I answer your first on the metal type. Question -- How much experience to you have in precision machining? Remember, you are machining this block to two different surfaces at the same time, the bed and the tailstock seat. ------ "Billy G"

Regarding obtaining the proper tailstock, this is not an atlas or southbend. It is an italian made lathe, with the brand name imperial. I have only found 2 other imperial brand lathes on the internet and they werent for sale. I have looked, and will look again before spending any money, but I am sure that there are no correct tailstocks for sale, nor will there ever be any.

In answer to the other question, have very little machining experience. I am highly likely to mess it up. I was half considering paying someone else to make it for me.

That is what I thought, thank you for your honesty. First off you need the place the tailstock you have as flat as possible on the lathe bed. Measure from the bed to the point on a dead center, this is one height. Now measure from the bed to the center of the spindle, this is the other height. Subtract the tailstock height from the spindle height, The difference is the height the block has to be. Please tell me the height numbers you got and the block height you came up with. I have a resource that might have one closer that the one you have. ------ "Billy G"

That is what I thought, thank you for your honesty. First off you need the place the tailstock you have as flat as possible on the lathe bed. Measure from the bed to the point on a dead center, this is one height. Now measure from the bed to the center of the spindle, this is the other height. Subtract the tailstock height from the spindle height, The difference is the height the block has to be. Please tell me the height numbers you got and the block height you came up with. I have a resource that might have one closer that the one you have. ------ "Billy G"

Ok, here's a pic of the tailstock. See how it's backwards, facing away from the spindle? Needs to have the groove on the other side. I don't have a dead center so I measured to the top (8.5") and subtract 1/2 the diameter (1/2 * 2.5" = 1.25") for 7.25" height to center of the tailstock, measured from the inside flat way.

IMAG1358.jpg

Here's a pic of the same measurement on the spindle. Spindle OD = 2.62", divided by 2 = 1.31." Distance from flat way to top of spindle= 8.81", minus 1.31" = 7.5"

IMAG1361.jpg

So we have a spindle height of 7.5" and a tailstock height of 7.25" and the plate would need to be .25" thick. But there's a problem, the way groove needs to be .4" deep.

This tailstock already sits on a 1.5" block.

IMAG1362.jpg

Perhaps I could do away with the existing 1.5" block and get one made that is 1.75" thick, with the grooves on the proper side?

Maybe your resource has something closer?

IMAG1358.jpg IMAG1361.jpg IMAG1362.jpg

That would probably be your most practical solution in the end. If there is only 1/4" difference in height, that won't adversely affect the rigidity much. But you're quite right, since the vee way groove is deeper than your proposed "riser", then the options are to machine off enough of the original to allow a proper spacer to be machined and room for the vee way allowed, plus root material above the vee for strength, or discard completely the existing base, and machine one that fits the tailstock on top, and the bed on the bottom. That would be the best solution rather than a "spacer". But Bill has a point. Granted, the X axis is normally adjustable, but the height is not, and is rather critical, as is the axial alignment with the spindle centerline. For a beginner, this won't be an easy chore. You will need instruments capable of closer and more reliable measurements than a dial caliper for this job, along with a decent mill to actually do the job. If you're willing to take a chance or two, I'm not saying you can't do it, and CI really isn't all that expensive, as materials go.....so you may decide to give it a try. But if you're not confident, or tight on funds, maybe find some help on it.

And I second Cast Iron as the prime material for this component.

I got an old lath that came with the incorrect tailstock. The tailstock it came with is probably 2" too short, 2" too narrow, and the way grooves are reverse from what they ought to be. So I need to put a block of something under it, with way grooves on the bottom that match my lathe bed, and way grooves on the top that match my tailstock. The question is, what kind of metal should this be? Is aluminum good enough or do I need steel or cast iron or other?
. Most any, if it has two mutually square sides.......BLJHB.

Back