What is this?

So what do I do with these things? Why would they be showing up in a scrapyard now? I have four of them and nine extra heads.
Likely rejects from the manufacturer. I would think they would spend the few minutes to separate the tungsten, from the aluminum to get a better price, but thats me. When I drove truck, I was amazed at the stuff that was in the reject dumpster. Some was rejects, some was over runs, some was just plain nuts to see in a dumpster.

But why would the leading edge of the fins be so square if it is a projectile? There would be a lot of drag. Although it being a training or simulator dummy round makes sense.
May not have been at the final stage, before it was rejected, or for training rounds (which is what blue usualy indicates, but then why the tungsten), they felt it did not matter.

Does make you wonder why they are in the scrap yard. Maybe you could make a bolo tie out of one LOL
or a golf tee

Looks like an early stage engineering mock up . Never was intended to go down range . The thick fins were left for finish machining , as they were canted for flight stability . A penetrator round would be tungsten full length with a wind screen pressed on the front , aluminum canted fins on the rear . There would definitely not be a roll-pin in it . :grin: The od machining is also missing , if it were real , there would be sets of grooves or the tungsten rod would be threaded to set the bore liner . Size wise , looks like a 20mm .

holy sh**! I want one!
Small ones seem to be quite popular projects , they do seem to blow themselves apart quite often though :)

Hours of fun on youtube lie ahead of you now :)

Back