What is this?

Not set screw, it's a flattened rivet. Definitely holding it together but not meant to be removed.289588

A static weight steam valve......just like the kind that's on pressure cookers.

Is that a statement from knowledge or a guess? Never seen one like that, and I can't find a picture like that. Do you know a brand or specific name?
Many thanks,
Tim

Yup, I agree that looks like some kind of flechette used in a weapon of some kind. Given the size of it, an artillery flechette is a good guess. I remember loading up flechette anti-personnel 2.75 rockets in my launchers in Nam. Hardened steel flechettes could vaporize a person. Scary stuff, and I cannot imagine the damage a 4.5" steel or tungsten tipped flechette would do to a person if he got hit with one.

Yikes, not something I want, that's for sure.

My first exposure was also in 2.75 FFR’s on aircraft. The larger fechettes were loaded in 105 rounds. The blue implies training or simulator, the depressable tip prevents “skidding” off hard surfaces on impact

But why would the leading edge of the fins be so square if it is a projectile? There would be a lot of drag. Although it being a training or simulator dummy round makes sense.

So what do I do with these things? Why would they be showing up in a scrapyard now? I have four of them and nine extra heads.

Back