What is this lathe?

After 5 years it shows. A beautiful job sir!!
I can see the South Bend signature components

Its been a few years but the refurb of a SouthBend Frankenstein 9x20 lathe is done. Stripping it down to its bits to replace worn bearings and parts with new was fun. It lives on a heavy construction custom made 3-drawer tool compartment stand. Sometimes a machine's truth exposes itself during a restoration which forces one to make a decision about whether to keep a purchase or soldier on but, I can honestly say, this one is a keeper. The accuracy is fantastic and the variable speed DC motor with spindle speed indicator makes it a joy to use. The 3/4hp motor is a torque monster so no need for backgears. A DRO will be a solid addition in the future.

The paint color is a SouthBend match. The beltdrive tension unit is modified for a compact footprint and it still has the odd spindle brake pad detail however it isn't used much because the DC speed controller contains an eddi current brake feature. The motor mount is opposite side of original for space savings and uses a counterweight spring to always force a slack belt when not in drive position. Its frame is 3x3x1/4 tubing and 1/2" top plate with removable wheels (i know, i know, lathes should never be moved). The lathe bed is supported by jack-bolts to manage bed-twist adjustments. A chip pan assembly with integrated bar stock storage is designed to fit around the workings and provide storage underneath. Franken-Bend fits my hobby shop restrictions and glad its part of the family.
My guy, did you build the cabinet??? If you did, thats a damn good job. Thats a design i will copy for my southbend 9a.

Its been a few years but the refurb of a SouthBend Frankenstein 9x20 lathe is done. Stripping it down to its bits to replace worn bearings and parts with new was fun. It lives on a heavy construction custom made 3-drawer tool compartment stand. Sometimes a machine's truth exposes itself during a restoration which forces one to make a decision about whether to keep a purchase or soldier on but, I can honestly say, this one is a keeper. The accuracy is fantastic and the variable speed DC motor with spindle speed indicator makes it a joy to use. The 3/4hp motor is a torque monster so no need for backgears. A DRO will be a solid addition in the future.

The paint color is a SouthBend match. The beltdrive tension unit is modified for a compact footprint and it still has the odd spindle brake pad detail however it isn't used much because the DC speed controller contains an eddi current brake feature. The motor mount is opposite side of original for space savings and uses a counterweight spring to always force a slack belt when not in drive position. Its frame is 3x3x1/4 tubing and 1/2" top plate with removable wheels (i know, i know, lathes should never be moved). The lathe bed is supported by jack-bolts to manage bed-twist adjustments. A chip pan assembly with integrated bar stock storage is designed to fit around the workings and provide storage underneath. Franken-Bend fits my hobby shop restrictions and glad its part of the family.
Looks great...

Back