What is this lathe?

whitebread

Registered
Registered
I acquired a lathe and would like to learn more about it but it doesn't look like anything I find on youtube for south bend catalog N0. 615YC and way number 26135NCR. The head stoke is different and there are suggestions of back gear items but now with a brake. Is this a knockoff? Maybe someone mixed parts?IMG_0293.JPGIMG_0296.JPGIMG_0320.JPGIMG_0321.JPG

I've never seen a headstock like that before, but a lot of the other parts look like 9" lathe parts. The tailstock, apron and carriage look like 9C. The flanges on the headstock would make me believe that it has some sort of precision bearings.

It looks like it may have roller bearings in the headstock. If so, it may be from another lathe, perhaps a Hercus? The Hercus was essentially a South Bend copy but with roller bearings
mark

Has a lot in common with the 9" workshop series lathes The serial number puts it as a 1921, 9" gear change, with a regular spindle & standard swing.

The brake lever is cast, obviously not home-made. And it's on the back side?

Here's a video of a 1945 Hercus 9". Definitely not this headstock.

brake is on the backside and part of the motor disengagement leveler. I attached some pics of the break components. IMG_0351.JPGIMG_0352.JPGIMG_0354.JPGIMG_0355.JPG

I appreciate the feedback. Part of the refurb experience for me is learning. Identifying the headstock would make it easier to understand why it doesn't have a back gear. I think I will minimize that problem with a 3/4hp 180VDC motor and speed controller. I realize the owners before me probably swapped parts but I am most excited that the headstock contains precision taper bearings.

Its been a few years but the refurb of a SouthBend Frankenstein 9x20 lathe is done. Stripping it down to its bits to replace worn bearings and parts with new was fun. It lives on a heavy construction custom made 3-drawer tool compartment stand. Sometimes a machine's truth exposes itself during a restoration which forces one to make a decision about whether to keep a purchase or soldier on but, I can honestly say, this one is a keeper. The accuracy is fantastic and the variable speed DC motor with spindle speed indicator makes it a joy to use. The 3/4hp motor is a torque monster so no need for backgears. A DRO will be a solid addition in the future.

The paint color is a SouthBend match. The beltdrive tension unit is modified for a compact footprint and it still has the odd spindle brake pad detail however it isn't used much because the DC speed controller contains an eddi current brake feature. The motor mount is opposite side of original for space savings and uses a counterweight spring to always force a slack belt when not in drive position. Its frame is 3x3x1/4 tubing and 1/2" top plate with removable wheels (i know, i know, lathes should never be moved). The lathe bed is supported by jack-bolts to manage bed-twist adjustments. A chip pan assembly with integrated bar stock storage is designed to fit around the workings and provide storage underneath. Franken-Bend fits my hobby shop restrictions and glad its part of the family.

Attachments

• lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 57
  • lathe2.jpg
    lathe2.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 55
  • lathe3.jpg
    lathe3.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 56
Fantastic job on that.

Cutting oil is my blood.