What is this lathe tool?

The round marks are the outline of some washers I just put on there to get clearance. The other lines is where the square tool post would sit.

I never thought about screwing the t-nut into the casting. Do you mean actually drill and tap holes to permanently attach the t-nut to the casting? Or do you mean drill and tap a hole for the tool mount stud?

View attachment 475778View attachment 475779
Yes, drill and tap the compound and drill / chamfer the T Nut. That should give you more rigidity, and help. if you decide to use your flat washer, make sure you either grind it flat on both sides, or turn it level so it does not introduce an angle.

edit: also make sure the washer will still allow you to get on center. if you are already tight to the bottom.

I would have doubted that an Atlas lathe would have the balls to take a chunk out of the compound like that without serious damage to the drive train seeing that it is all pot metal ---

I would have doubted that an Atlas lathe would have the balls to take a chunk out of the compound like that without serious damage to the drive train seeing that it is all pot metal ---
I'm thinking it was some sketchy clamping. Not hard to do that with a wrench.

Well the seller didn't say it was crashed. But once I got over the newbie "Gonna buy a lathe" excitement, a closer examination of the parts leads me to believe it was crashed. You guys tell me.

The lantern tool post is bent and the 2 piece t-nut is bent. Hard to see in this pic. I can't lay my hands on it right now or I would show a better pic. The chuck is damaged at all 3 jaw locations. I can't say for sure a crash caused this. It came with 3 sets of jaws. I found one jaw that looks like it had been hit? The lower part of the compound has a chunk took out of it too. Unless it's supposed to be that way?

If it was crashed, I find it strange that the sacrificial lead screw bearing wasn't broke. Unless of course it was replaced? And there was 3 or 4 change gears missing. Maybe those were installed when it crashed, if it did?

If I wasn't a newbie and would have know what I was looking at I may have passed on it. But I drove a very long way to get it, and I wasn't going home empty handed. It came with a boat load of tooling. But at the time I thought it was worth the $375 I paid. Maybe not so much now,,,lol.

So crash or no crash?

IMG_0450.JPG409684560_373855361756192_5240804422890830202_n.jpgIMG_0454.JPGIMG_0453.JPGIMG_0463.JPGIMG_0443.JPG

Those cracks in the chuck around the jaw would have me looking for another chuck.
I'd hate for them to be under tension at speed and decide to let go.

The jaw "bell" could be from years of wear.
Chucks and tool posts are easy to replace, though not without some costs.

For $375 all in I think you did good.
Of course I am also one that started with a small, worn lathe that was all I could find in the market then, but used that to learn a lot of the short-comings and pitfalls.
My next couple of lathes were much better!

Brian

EDIT: and you could consider 3D-printed plastic gears for the ones you're missing.

Last edited:
Those cracks in the chuck around the jaw would have me looking for another chuck.
I'd hate for them to be under tension at speed and deiced to let go.

The jaw "bell" could be from years of wear.
Chucks and tool posts are easy to replace, though not without some costs.

For $375 all in I think you did good.
Of course I am also one that started with a small, worn lathe that was all I could find in the market then, but used that to learn a lot of the short-comings and pitfalls.
My next couple of lathes were much better!

Brian

EDIT: and you could consider 3D-printed plastic gears for the ones you're missing.
I do have a new chuck sitting here ready to install once I get that far. I also got the missing gears. Unfortunately they are 1/2'' at the hub. Mine is 3/8'' at the hub. So I will need to face these down. I also got the missing gear bolt/sleeve/bushing assemblies. They are too long also. But It will give me some first to do projects.

If you guys care to watch, here's a video of when I first got it. The second half shows all the stuff that came with it. It would be great if you guys could tell me what some of this stuff is,,,lol.

Last edited:
I would look on Ebay for a replacement compound. They should be easy to find.
You will need a new chuck.

edit: so those shafts with discs on the end are probably for counterbore cutters to sink the head of a socket head screw.
you had a holder for a piece of lab equip, that would attach to a rod with the V and a long screw , that was probably replaced from the test tube holder clamp.

edit2 : btw those dead centers will probably take a new point just turn it on there... 60 degree included 30 each side.They can be useful for a bunch of things.

Last edited:
The round marks are the outline of some washers I just put on there to get clearance. The other lines is where the square tool post would sit.

I never thought about screwing the t-nut into the casting. Do you mean actually drill and tap holes to permanently attach the t-nut to the casting? Or do you mean drill and tap a hole for the tool mount stud?

View attachment 475778View attachment 475779
That toolpost looks HUGE for that compound.

Second thought, looked again, much too big.

Back