What is this lathe tool?

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
This came with my Atlas 10D. I THINK it might be a home made ball turner? I'm not sure that's the tool holder that was meant to go in the attachment. The attachment has a key, and the tool holder does not. But I can see crooked witness marks on the bottom of the tool holder where it looks like they might have tried to use it? It doesn't sit straight and can move maybe?

I'm not saying I'd ever try to use it. Just wondering what it is. Thanks.

IMG_0654.JPGIMG_0653.JPGIMG_0652.JPG

I would be more concerned about the broken compound.........

I would be more concerned about the broken compound.........
What? This,,,lol.

The machine has been crashed in a previous life. I'm adding a qctp and I think I'm going to machine off the area where the black marker is and make it a bearing surface just to give me more contact area? IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0650.JPG

What? This,,,lol.

The machine has been crashed in a previous life. I'm adding a qctp and I think I'm going to machine off the area where the black marker is and make it a bearing surface just to give me more contact area? View attachment 475770View attachment 475771
machine off, or deck off?

I don't know if you considered this, but you can screw your T nut into the casting, and gain some more rigidity that way.
I am not sure that removing as much as you are talking about will buy you much.

machine off, or deck off?

I don't know if you considered this, but you can screw your T nut into the casting, and gain some more rigidity that way.
I am not sure that removing as much as you are talking about will buy you much.
The round marks are the outline of some washers I just put on there to get clearance. The other lines is where the square tool post would sit.

I never thought about screwing the t-nut into the casting. Do you mean actually drill and tap holes to permanently attach the t-nut to the casting? Or do you mean drill and tap a hole for the tool mount stud?

IMG_0648.JPGIMG_0649.JPG

Back