What is this electric panel for

Pretty unlikely that the motor has just two wires - at least I've never seen such a thing on anything other than very small machines. Pics of the panel interior are the best way to answer this question.

GsT
Yes sir I think you’re correct.
I’m just gonna have to be patient.
Hopefully late this week or early next.

Looks like prior owner stuff that you can undo once you get the machine. If you're going to gut the mill's wiring for those VFDs anyway, you might as well strip off the excess junk and only leave what's useful. It might even be easier to start over than figuring out what they were thinking, so I wouldn't consider it a big deal for purchase criteria if VFDs are already part of your plan.

Of course, making VFDs a part of your plan before you even own a machine to retrofit is not a very sound demonstration of wisdom. Committing to variable speed over machine simplicity is a poor decision to make before the machine is on your shop floor. Choosing how you will power a machine in my opinion has more to do with the specific machine's kitting than it does with one form of 3-phase conversion over another.

So why are you shopping for VFDs before you have the machine? What is it about VFD that you think you need? What does the machine need?

That looks like two drum switches mounted on a piece of plywood to me...

One might be for high speed/ low speed, and the other for forward/ reverse...

It looks like the entire assembly is just hanging by the wiring... judging from the unpainted area on the plywood, it may have once been mounted on a bracket. Now it is just hanging upside down with the switch handles to the back.

-Bear

That looks like two drum switches mounted on a piece of plywood to me...

One might be for high speed/ low speed, and the other for forward/ reverse...

It looks like the entire assembly is just hanging by the wiring... judging from the unpainted area on the plywood, it may have once been mounted on a bracket. Now it is just hanging upside down with the switch handles to the back.

-Bear
Yes. You can see the mounting plate peeking out behind the motor terminal box. If the switch assembly was bolted to the plate matching the rust-colored area on the back of the plywood, it would place the switches in a reachable location.

Looks like prior owner stuff that you can undo once you get the machine. If you're going to gut the mill's wiring for those VFDs anyway, you might as well strip off the excess junk and only leave what's useful. It might even be easier to start over than figuring out what they were thinking, so I wouldn't consider it a big deal for purchase criteria if VFDs are already part of your plan.

Of course, making VFDs a part of your plan before you even own a machine to retrofit is not a very sound demonstration of wisdom. Committing to variable speed over machine simplicity is a poor decision to make before the machine is on your shop floor. Choosing how you will power a machine in my opinion has more to do with the specific machine's kitting than it does with one form of 3-phase conversion over another.

So why are you shopping for VFDs before you have the machine? What is it about VFD that you think you need? What does the machine need?
Not shopping just trying to learn what I’m up against. I know nothing of VFD’s or the alternative.
This is the first piece of 3 phase equipment I own.
Affordability and longevity will be my concerns.
I also was curious about that unsightly panel just hanging there when other machines I see do not have this.
I’m fine with the speeds the machine is designed for. I will just need to get it powered up when it arrives.
I’m snow/iced in with too much time to think.

Not shopping just trying to learn what I’m up against. I know nothing of VFD’s or the alternative.
This is the first piece of 3 phase equipment I own.
Affordability and longevity will be my concerns.
I also was curious about that unsightly panel just hanging there when other machines I see do not have this.
I’m fine with the speeds the machine is designed for. I will just need to get it powered up when it arrives.
I’m snow/iced in with too much time to think.
Sounds good! If cost is a big deal and you only need to convert one motor, VFD wins. If you have more than one motor to convert, or want to run other equipment in the future, VFDs add up and other options become available for the same money. That's the main reason I asked, since the possibility of multiple motors came up. The other reason is people are obsessed with VFDs, carbide inserts, and 3d printers without having a practical reason why, and I like to crush dreams and say the old way is better. I can't help it any more than my cat can't help chasing the laser dot.

Sounds good! If cost is a big deal and you only need to convert one motor, VFD wins. If you have more than one motor to convert, or want to run other equipment in the future, VFDs add up and other options become available for the same money. That's the main reason I asked, since the possibility of multiple motors came up. The other reason is people are obsessed with VFDs, carbide inserts, and 3d printers without having a practical reason why, and I like to crush dreams and say the old way is better. I can't help it any more than my cat can't help chasing the laser dot.
Well sir I believe you and see things much the same. I’m definately an old ways guy.
On this deal I’m in way over my head and don’t know what I’m even looking for. I’m studying up to hopefully make the best decision.
I’m actually leaning towards the rotary phase converter if it allows me to buy and operate more 3 phase equipment.

Ask the seller about these things.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back