What is this cutter?

I use mine like a fly cutter

You know I said that to somebody the other day about my 5 flute 3 inch face mill. "Oh, I just use that like a flycutter." The truth is I really do. I rarely use it for making a quick flat, and I have never indexed the inserts. I use it slow to produce a flat pretty smooth surface. I wonder if it might not be better to actually use it like a fly cutter. Remove all the inserts, but one. LOL.

If your mill is heavy enough you can leave all the inserts in and still use it like a fly cutter. Cut .001 per insert, or .001 per rev, your choice. I once ran a full sized Lucas mill with a 9 inch cutter with 26 inserts, I was feeding about .0025 per cutter, in cast Iron. a quarter inch deep, it left a beautiful finish. The inserts lasted weeks instead of one change per shift.

Its iffy. I've got a 5HP spindle motor, but the quill has some flex when extended. I can take a 1/4" DOC with a 30% stepover in 6061 with it at a pretty decent clip throwing chips 30 feet or more across the shop, but it will have a scallop to the surface. I tend towards .003 to .005 for finish passes.

I wonder if it might not be better to actually use it like a fly cutter. Remove all the inserts, but one. LOL.

I'm getting everything to make my own flycutter hopefully here in that next couple weeks I wonder if it's font to work as well as my face mill....

That face mill uses flat square inserts. No hole. cheap inserts

Cheap inserts??? Just depends on the size of the insert.
If this is something like a SPG422, which I doubt this is, these are cheap. But if this is something like a SPG532 or 633, they can be expensive. These are getting harder and harder to find in these sizes today. The poster did not give us much information other than a picture.

Here's a couple more pics, fellas. The cutting bits are square with no holes. The bits seem to have a 70* bevel on all 4 sides. The 70* bevel is a guess it may be different but just eye balling it that's what it appears. There are no markings or numbers on this bit. That's why I asked of its value, didn't know if it is worth using or one of those pieces you only get a use or two out of and it's junk. Anyway, it is a 3 cutter bit 2.5" indexable face mill, correct? As you guys can tell I'm new at this. To all that have replied and those that will, thank you.

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

If you go by the chart I referenced it is probably the complement of that angle, something in the 20-30 degree range.
If you have a set of calipers of mics you can get some measurements and than work out what the inserts are. Sometimes it's a bit of trial and error.

BTW, I'm a bit of a rookie too, been doing the hobby machine thing for around 5 years, I know enough to be VERY dangerous :D:eek:

Rich

Try SP422 insert should be close thats what my 3" uses

Nice cutter to own and use, looks brand new your lucky . Put it to work then show us how it does.

Back