What is this cutter?

Geerbangr

Registered
Registered
a9GZIhs.jpg

Facemills that use perfectly square inserts won't mill to shoulder, not that I have seen anyway. You would need some kind of relief on the insert.

Yup, inserts are square but if you look closely, you wouldn't be able to mill to a shoulder. The inserts are rotated slightly for clearance. If the inserts were oriented so you could mill to a shoulder, because the inserts are square, you would get full contact on the insert when facing, that would lead to a number of issues.

This was in with the mill I bought. What's the value of it? I can get some close ups of the blades. I'll have to find a YouTube video on how to use it properly.

This was in with the mill I bought. What's the value of it? I can get some close ups of the blades. I'll have to find a YouTube video on how to use it properly.

I use mine like a fly cutter. Im sure someone will be along to help you with what inserts it takes form what I've seen there are a million types of inserts....

You could try to figure out the insert you have from this information. You will need to take measurements of the insert. I know with lathe toolholders they typically put the number of the holder on it, and sometime the insert. Not sure about tooling for the mill though.
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Hth
Rich

Back