What is a realistic value?

Problem is trying to find someone who will buy a change gear lathe.
Everyone on this site says to stay away from them.
I have a SB 9C I maybe trying sell soon, probably gonna get taken to the cleaners on it.
I have two a couple years ago I tried to sell them as a package for 500.00.....
Sold a few peices but Still got em...but not once scrap price goes back up.

I have both a SB9”A and a Wards 10” with gear change. I use them both. In fact I am in mid throughs of getting the Wards setup to cut Metric threads. Just waiting on work to find time to run the 127 tooth gear.

As these machines are home hobby use. I could care less if it takes 10 minutes to swap gears. $500 with your tooling is a good deal. Hopefully it goes to someone who will use it and not part it out. Once the old ones are gone there is no getting them back.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Guess everybody is different , I would have a very hard time selling something that was my grandfathers . If anything I would store it in case a member of the family would want it . I have 2 of my grandfathers garden tractors , a David Bradly Tri-Trac and a Standard Walsh , both hopefully will stay in the family .

Guess everybody is different , I would have a very hard time selling something that was my grandfathers . If anything I would store it in case a member of the family would want it . I have 2 of my grandfathers garden tractors , a David Bradly Tri-Trac and a Standard Walsh , both hopefully will stay in the family .
I hear you...but Dad has been gone a year now, and no one else in the family wants it. I have been working with my grandfather's Atlas for 10 years or so now, and never worked with great grandpa's, plus a smaller house that is already full of 'heirlooms', so something has to give. It is probably better that it goes to someone who can use it.

I recently sold my fathers old deer rifle, a nice Winchester 100. I don't deer hunt, my son doesn't deer hunt, and rather than it sit around growing dust, I know my father would prefer that someone who would use it have it. We all carry around family momento's, only to have them carry us around.

I am sure your grandfather would love it if it went to someone who will use it. Start off asking 1000 OBO, and go from there.

Problem is trying to find someone who will buy a change gear lathe.
Everyone on this site says to stay away from them.
I have a SB 9C I maybe trying sell soon, probably gonna get taken to the cleaners on it.
Maybe some on this site don't care for change gears, but to some of us it doesn't matter one way or the other. In the scheme of things threading is an extremely small part of what I and many others do in their shops. Changing out a couple gears now and then is no big deal.

My first lathe was a Seneca Falls change gear machine. Some 20+ years later I still use it. Not as much as in the past, but more because of its size (10") and speed (max 700 rpm). Like the Atlas it's a family heirloom. It operated by my wife's grandfather in a prototype shop for over 40 years. It was given to him when he retired. From there it went to my wife's father, and on to me. Should I last long enough I'm sure it will go to a nephew who is extremely interested in it, but at this point too young to operate it.

1000-1500 around here....maybe a scooch below 1000 if someone was motivated to move it out.....

I feel your pain regarding sentimental "value", however. . . My dad was a high school shop teacher at Waverly High School in Lansing, MI. Some time in the late 1980's he told me that the machine shop was shutting down and all of the equipment was being auctioned off. I ended up winning a Clausing 5418 (12" x 24") lathe for $600. I moved it into my garage and waited for a visit from the 'rents. "Hey dad, I have something to show you in the garage." "Hey, that's the same type of lathe we had at school!" "That's because it is!"

My dad called it "Number 1". He was the department head of the Industrial Arts program when the school was built in 1963. He, the principal and superintendent went to the Atlas/Clausing plant in Kalamazoo, MI on a shopping trip to outfit the shop. This particular 5418 was the first lathe he bought for the school. My dad taught 100's of kids how to turn on that lathe.

That being said, my 5418 is a bear-bones machine as my dad bought the most inexpensive one for the school: screw-on chuck, belt-drive underneath drive that requires getting on your knees to change speeds, no clutch/brake, etc. I really like the feel of my Clausing, and had an emotional attachment to it. However, the lathe is just something my dad bought for the school; no piece of him is in that lathe. (I'm assuming the "dings" in the compound were from students, not him!)

After my parents passed away I looked over his tools and brought home maybe 4 or 5 things. My dad didn't buy Snap On or Craftsman sockets for home use. They were some Chinese knock-off way before Harbor Freight, probably bought at Meijer's Thrifty Acres. I left all of that stuff at their house as our daughter is taking the place and will need something around to turn a bolt. Yes, he probably turned a bolt or two with them at home, but I don't put junk in my tool box even if my dad has used them on occasion.

I still use the 5418, but if a Clausing 5914 with a L00 chuck, clutch/brake, 5C collet closer and taper attachment showed up for reasonable money, the 5418 would be on the chopping block. My dad isn't around to ask, but I could picture him coming out to use the 5418 and griping about having to get on his knees to change speeds. "Bruce, why are hanging onto this old lathe? Get something with variable speed or a gear-head so you don't imbed chips in your knees!"

I really like having two lathes; have a Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" and the Clausing 5418. The G0709 has a set-tru 8" 3-jaw on it (though I have a full set of 5C collets too), and the Clausing has a 5C collet chuck on it. If I'm doing collet work, I head to the Clausing instead of pulling the chuck on the Grizzly. Maybe you can do some creative repositioning of things and shoehorn the 10D in?

Facebook MarketPlace has a plethora of change-gear lathes on it. I can't attach the links, just screen shots. Looks like a range from $550 - $2000 in this area. You should be able to get at least $750-$1000 pretty quickly, a lot depends on the tooling/attachments you have for it.

Bruce

1674144674859.png1674144727649.png

1674144769835.png

1674144823653.png

1674144858865.png

1674144896055.png

1674144929595.png1674144952442.png

Back