What is a realistic value?

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I already have an Atlas QC54 so my Dad's old 10D needs to go. Are these older babbitt bearing machines worth enough to justify the touble of selling them whole or should I just part out what I can get? He mostly used it for making pens the last 10 years or so. It was kept fairly well cleaned and oiled, but working to close tolerances was never a priority.

FktXSmo.jpg

I'm sure a beginner would be very happy to have that! You could sell it in a heartbeat for $500 around here or spend some more time and clean it up a bit and you should be able to get a few $100 more

At $500, it could be gone this afternoon. Anything beyond that is up to your local market and the buyer standing in front of you with cash.

I just sold my Atlas H54 with two chucks and an extra Timken head to a friend of mine for the same $1100 I bought it for. He's happy, I'm happy. Best part is I did not have to deal with any of those yayhoos on Craigslist. That was worth a hundred or two right there.

A lot of us started with a similar lathe. So there is a demand. Prices can very depending on areas. I would look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace to figure out a price.

In Western Canada, this is a $1000 CDN lathe, with all those change gears. I assume ther is at least one chuck and the spindle is 1 1/8" OD.

At 500$ your phopne would be ringing off the hook.

I admit a certain reluctance to sell it. My great grandfather bought it new in the mid 1930's as a 'toy' when he semi-retired. I think my passion for tinkering came from him! My grandfather used it, including during the WWII years to help repair/regrind fittings that were just unobtainable for the local gas plant, until he bought a QC54 (which I now have) in the early 1950s. So this little 10D has been in my family since it was new 90 or so years ago, but I just don't have room for it and Mom wants it out of her garage...and I can't convince my brother to give it a try...and I have a family heirloom lathe that is more capable...so time to cut the apron strings. Wah wah wah...

In Western Canada, this is a $1000 CDN lathe, with all those change gears. I assume ther is at least one chuck and the spindle is 1 1/8" OD.

At 500$ your phopne would be ringing off the hook.
4" 3 jaw (can't find any marks except MADE IN USA) with 2 sets of jaws, a fair assortment of cutting tools, wood driving chuck for the headstock, some solid tailstock centers, etc. Most of the measurement tools I have taken for my own use.

Do not part that out, sell it complete.
Wow look at all those BEAUTIFUL change gears.....even though its not fully loaded with accessories it's a capable machine tool with a qualified operator at the helm.

Problem is trying to find someone who will buy a change gear lathe.
Everyone on this site says to stay away from them.
I have a SB 9C I maybe trying sell soon, probably gonna get taken to the cleaners on it.

Back