What I make

gnead

Registered
Registered
Here is what I make with my home shop equipment, custom made golf putters for people all over the world, it has grown quite a bit over the last few years
image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know nothing about golfing, But thats is some nice work.

Paul

I am not a golfer either, but I can recognize craftsmanship when I see it! Nice work, maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some details on the process you use to make these, what equipment you have, materials used etc. You don't need to give away trade secrets, but as a hobbiest and engineer, I am always interested in how things are made.

Very nice! Is that moku?

I am not a golfer either, but I can recognize craftsmanship when I see it! Nice work, maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some details on the process you use to make these, what equipment you have, materials used etc. You don't need to give away trade secrets, but as a hobbiest and engineer, I am always interested in how things are made.

These to putters were made made from 3 pieces, and welded together. These putters were built on a Bridgeport knee mill with a 15" rotary table that I made a fixture to increase the radius I can cut, I basically rough the shape in and grind sand and polish from there.
The necks are made on my 9" south bend lathe with a tapper attachment, which I restored myself.
The face of the putter is ground on a B&S No. 2 surface grinder and then engraved with a antique straight line engine machine.
The customer for these putters had ask for a face of carbon steel and flange of stainless welded together.
The other one is the opposite. Both have Mokume gane inserts, ferrules and sight dots composed of copper and nickel silver.
As far as machines I have:
Acer CNC mill
Bridgeport knee mill
Alliant knee mill
B&S surface grinder
9" South Bend lathe
Miller Tig welder
Various belt sanders and grinders and polishing wheels.
I am 49 years young and I have spent most of my life making things out of metal, I learned buy helping my father building race cars for our family business, I learned to use most kinds of equipment that I use today before I was old enough to drive, I grew up in a family of racers, that mostly raced on a local level but built race cars for people, as well as having a speed shop, fab shop, machine shop that supported many of the local racers in our area. I started my own chassis shop building race cars at 17 years old to support my own racing and drove race cars for many years, I have personally build over 300 race cars mostly dirt cars, in 1992 I had the opportunity to
move to NC to work on NASCAR stock cars and in 1996 I became a crew chief for a Busch grand national team (now nascar nationwide series). I have been very fortunate and worked with many great drivers over the years and had a lot of success in the NASCAR arena. I have worked in all 3 of Nascar's top series over the last 20 years
the most fun I have had was working in what at the time was the NASCAR Craftsman truck series with Ted Musgrave winning many races over a span of 4 years and a championship in 2005.
a few years ago I started a small business with my other passion in life which is golf, and it has taken off very well to date. With my the racing part of my life winding down I have been ramping up my putter business quite a bit and look forward to retiring from racing this year. In the end I am just a lucky guy who has always had a job doing what I love to do. You can learn some of the things I have done in my life by googling my name.
and here is a few more pictures of my putters in process.

Thanks,
Gene Nead

image.jpg

Last edited:
This putter was built for a former British open champion

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back