What have you done in your shop lately?

Like a lot of Logan owners, the dials are too darn small for me to see easily. Today I finished inscribing the lines on my larger crossfeed
dial. Just need to make a handle for it and figure out how to jig up the number stamps. I also cut a keyway in it by the Mr. Pete method.
Material is 416 SS.

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Not the best thing to run the longest lines all the way across the dial, it leaves no place to stamp or engrave the numbers.

Well, he can't put the metal back, so maybe "zero" will be a "phi". I'd probably go with 0|0 for digits.

Nice engraving though. Mine didn't look look and I was in a process of making a second one.

Very nice. How did you keep it so clean?
If you clean up after every use it isn’t too difficult. I find that I do that after every project on my mill and when I feel like it with the lathe.

Nice engraving though. Mine didn't look look and I was in a process of making a second one.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the way they came out, though I would change the way I did it slightly next time.
As you can see from the pic, I used a cemented carbide tool to cut the lines. (Because I had a couple of brand new ones
on hand.). On the first one I snapped a bit of the tip off when I backed up the tool after cutting a line. After I changed tools, I backed out the cross slide each time I finished a line and then reset the depth before the next cut. That was a little more time consuming, but it worked better. Next time I'd probably just grind something in HSS. DOC was .006.

Last edited:
Back