What have you done in your shop lately?

I installed over the past couple months an Ingersol Rand 5HP compressor. It was a bit of a project, had to pour a pad outside and cover it. It was good running the air lines just where I wanted them, and having local pressure regulators at the mill and lathe, for an air chuck and mister, and a pull down hose for tire inflating, a task i’ve always hated slightly.
But today, I just contemplated the rest of the wiring...220V single phase, but there is nothing so simple that with some more time I can’t complicate. A new sub panel, maybe a transfer switch, a local disconnect, etc. So I did nothing today. Paralysis by analysis.

I designed and CNC machined a stop rod clamp to use my tapping head arm stop on my drill press. I've had a stop rod screwed to the table for a couple years and it always seems like it's in the way. This one clamps onto the quill with one 1/4-20 cap head screw. The stop rod is just long enough that it won't interfere with anything.

Nice work on the clamp and rod.
My instinct would have been to extend the arm (on the tapping head) so that it stopped against the DP column. It seem vastly simpler.
Is there some advantage to your approach that I'm not understanding yet?

I installed over the past couple months an Ingersol Rand 5HP compressor. It was a bit of a project, had to pour a pad outside and cover it. It was good running the air lines just where I wanted them, and having local pressure regulators at the mill and lathe, for an air chuck and mister, and a pull down hose for tire inflating, a task i’ve always hated slightly.
But today, I just contemplated the rest of the wiring...220V single phase, but there is nothing so simple that with some more time I can’t complicate. A new sub panel, maybe a transfer switch, a local disconnect, etc. So I did nothing today. Paralysis by analysis.

I hear you!
I still have to rewire the entire shop as there is exactly one outlet in the whole place.
Lights are terrible also.
But that’s another day. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted a diamond insert wood turning tool. I didn't get the handle complete, and I haven't cleaned the scale off of the square bar, but I did get the Hazard Fart mini mill out and mill the flat and bevel for the insert, drilled and tapped it to fit. Even though it is not done, it is still usable. I already made a round one. I'd like to make a large square one (skew chisel format) and a parting tool. I'll figure those out at some point.

20191111_190744.jpg

20191111_190752.jpg

Wood turning is so different from metal turning. I'd pretend that I made it for a left-handed person, but I do my wood turning with my right hand. It was simply a mistake to not get the insert perfectly square. It's still usable, though.

Thanks extropic.

The instructions for the Tapmatic X series specifically warn against extending the stop arm.

"Never extend the length of the standard stop arm supplied with your tapping attachment. A lengthened stop arm could break free hitting the operator and causing serious injury."

Nice work on the clamp and rod.
My instinct would have been to extend the arm (on the tapping head) so that it stopped against the DP column. It seem vastly simpler.
Is there some advantage to your approach that I'm not understanding yet?

Paralysis by analysis.
This has happened more times than I can recall. I walk out to the shop on a nice summer Saturday. I look about the area, and reflect on the projects at hand. I try to pick one that I WANT to do. Failing that, I try to pick one I NEED to do. Failing that, I try to pick one MY WIFE needs me to do. It is at this point that I start to contemplate the meaning of life, and what it all REALLY means. Next thing I know, I am down at the figurative "fishing hole":big grin:

Today I welded a female 1/4 npt air adapter to a portable air adapter to get a siphon sprayer to work.

www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Car-Engine-Cleaning-Gun-Solvent-Air-Sprayer-Degreaser-Siphon-Tool-Gray/482990939

At first, the item appears to have a very good price ($7.83), free shipping to store. It also says Fitting for 1/4in NPT,air line.
However, what was shipped is shown in the picture.

The thread is metric, 1mm pitch, but 11.something mm diameter. So maybe it's 12mm with 1mm pitch.

So I put a female npt steel adapter on the end and welded it to the existing adapter.

It works pretty well. However, I noticed that it uses alot of air. I have 5 gallon portable air tank and it took 3 refills pretty quickly for one small can of denature alcohol.

I wonder what you would use as cheap solvent to clean up grease. I see Dollar general Mean Green Super Strength that may work.

d9dba9e9-0bd1-4405-8b3a-7e930b4ea87b_1.dd30b6fbe03ee0054b755d4cc7c49957.jpeg

Paralysis by analysis.
I love that. Waste so much time and energy by over analyzing simple things. Sometimes it’s best to just do it.

I have been using a smaller band saw so I put off fixing the larger one. Today I finally re-cut a crown for my larger bandsaw wheel.
I traced the outter lip (which was untouch/original) for the angle and it appears to be 5 degree using an indicator and no movement. I cut 5 degree across the face and tested it out with a new blade.

The saw cuts 1" thick steel super smooth. I am so happy with it. I never cut this bandsaw this smooth before since I bought it used.

Back