What Have I done wrong?

I think I found the problem... When i ghanged the cross slide nut that cured the slop ( fore & Aft ) th the cross slide BUT.... i noticed some of the slop had returned so .. Idissassembled the slide again to check the bushing. what i discovered was during re assembly after replacing the nut, I failed to tighten the screw that attaches the nut allowing movement in the slide. that wiggle was causing the problem. now everything is tight and the finish is quite smooth.
It was interesting to see the suggestions from members... Most of those thoughts ran through my head and i had tried them... The spindle got two new bearings during ' resurection" so i knew that wasn't it.
end result is that All is now well but the ' Tool on center is troupling me somewhat.
i believed tha ' Just a tad below dead center was the normal procedure for the tool but someone mentione a tad ABOVE dead center.... Whis is considered the better way by the majority???

thanks angain fellows
hope your not sick of turkey yet

joe

I never get sick of turkey. The last three nights I've had cold turkey sandwiches for dinner. Lovin' every bite! :thumbzup:

As for the cut being above center, all I can do is refer back to the source of most of my acquired knowledge - How to Run a Lathe. Read the top part of page 28...
-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back