What Hand Cleaner?

Have used many diff ones, still looking on something that will not be as bad, My hands dry, split, crack and bleed, thus need something to take the grime off without being to harsh. So far have not found much, I go through a lot of HF nitirl gloves trying to keep most of the stuff off my hands. My hands are so bad that the Gov cannot even get good finger prints when they try to take them for my work. Real pain.
Try some bag balm for your hands. I put some on when my hands crack and bleed at night b4 bed and in the morn they are much better. It's used for cow udders (the machines make them sore) but it's great for humans. Amazingly fast results.

Since we're on the subject, at work we use a gritty green hand cleaner (no sure of name), but I have found that it not only cleans hands good, but also does great at cleaning machined parts to make them shine. Any time I make something that I want to look good, I clean it with that stuff. So hand cleaner can be for more than just hands

HBilly, warm/hot water is a must. Makes any hand cleaner more effective or at least makes it more comfortable.

Fast Orange with pumice for me. Only thing I don't like is when I miss rubbing a spot on my hands, so when I rinse the Fast Orange off, it'll clearly show where I failed to rub. And you can't really use more Fast Orange unless you dry your hands before putting more on. :-(

But I also grew up washing my hands using Sunlight laundry soap...

A squirt of wd-40 in hands, rub together a few time, wipe off with a rag. Works great.

If any of you know of someone making bio diesel, a bi-product is glycerine. This can be further treated to make the best hand cleaner I have used. It gets pretty well anything off and just washes away in water, and leaves your hands soft like you have used skin lotion. Glycerine is a product of soap making too but soap manufacturers remove the glycerine because the cosmetics industry pays more for it I have heard.
As several others have mentioned, clean oil or grease worked into dirty areas, then wiped off with paper towels also does a good job. For really dirty skin , you may have to repeat once or twice, wipe off on paper towels then wash in soap and water to remove the grease or oil, but glycerine is better.

Since we're on the subject, at work we use a gritty green hand cleaner (no sure of name), but I have found that it not only cleans hands good, but also does great at cleaning machined parts to make them shine. Any time I make something that I want to look good, I clean it with that stuff. So hand cleaner can be for more than just hands
I had a woman at the wrecking yard tell me the same thing. She buys whatever is at the dollar store. You know THAT price is right...

What hand cleaner do you use? I'm using GOJO Natural Orange but find it doesn't do a very good job (at least not using cold water, which is all I have in the shop). I have to wash my hands with soap after using the GOJO in order to get them clean. I end up washing my hands quite often during the day because they get so dirty from handling the raw materials, using the machines and cleaning up.

Some tips I learnd as an auto mechanic:

1) Rub hand cleaner on your hands BEFORE you work if you don't wear gloves. It makes your hands come cleaner after working.

2) I prefer non-grit style unless I forgot to prep before working and I got some thick, dirty grease/rust on my hands.

3) Wear HF nitrile gloves when you work to keep the dirt off your hands and out from under your fingernails. I used to buy only the blue (5mil) but found that the white (3mil) are cheaper and pretty tough. They replaced latex for everything I do except rough work, when I wear leather gloves (HF 61459 work gloves outlast most others and are blackberry thorn-proof, almost). Another good glove is the knit dipped in polyurethane .

I really enjoy not having ugly grease and dirt under my fingernails nowadays.

I'm 68 and my mom showed me this many years ago to get all kinds of crud off my paws - apply butter, rub hands until well coated with slobber then sprinkle sugar on and rub for as long as it takes (usually 5 min or so). Rinse and wash with hand soap and your hands will be clean and oh-so-smooth! Your wives will especially appreciate that part!

Back