What goes on in my shop

Ray ,

Thanks for the compliment. Sounds like an interesting job you have coming up , I've
always enjoyed engineering fixtures/jigs and the challenges it poses.
I've built work holding solutions for customers around the world but unfortunately I don't
get to showcase them very much due to the fact they are specific to the customers
competitive advantage in the market.

William

Hey William,Can I pick your brain on your cutting of the V-grooves and the square reliefe at the bottom of the grooves. Do you use a 90deg. drill point cutter and then a small end mill? or do you tilt the head or use a sine plate/vise and then re-indicate on the center of the groove? Or most likely since you area pro CNC. My block had a 1/8 deap V-groove. I could have used a drill point mill but did not have one so I had to use a angle vise. any thoughts on better way to do this? I have a couple of projects coming up were I will need more V-groove and would like to feel I am doing things in the best way I can. Thanks again for all your kind words a nd help. BTW really liked the ball pin vise you posted. Pin vises do have some great advantages in holding od shapes. Mark

Hey William,Can I pick your brain on your cutting of the V-grooves and the square reliefe at the bottom of the grooves. Do you use a 90deg. drill point cutter and then a small end mill? or do you tilt the head or use a sine plate/vise and then re-indicate on the center of the groove? Or most likely since you area pro CNC. My block had a 1/8 deap V-groove. I could have used a drill point mill but did not have one so I had to use a angle vise. any thoughts on better way to do this? I have a couple of projects coming up were I will need more V-groove and would like to feel I am doing things in the best way I can. Thanks again for all your kind words a nd help. BTW really liked the ball pin vise you posted. Pin vises do have some great advantages in holding od shapes. Mark

Mark ,

Personally I am not a big fan of the drill point cutters in a large v such as this ,for smaller grooves
yes. I use a sine plate that both halves are clamped to , actually six halves. The halves are arranged
so the v is cut continuously across all using the x-axsis. You can indicate from the groove center
you have marked , just remember if you're going for a certain depth (i.e. 0.750") you need to find the
"across the corners measurement" to be able to move your cutter to proper setting.
I use as big and as short a cutter that I possibly can get away with , just watch your climb milling and
have a rigid set-up.
Once the v is done I lay the fixture flat and come across all with the specified end mill for the size v that
was cut to make the relief.
Your angle vise will work fine ,no need in buying something when you don't have too. I would just verify
the angle with an angle block and indicator.

William

Back