WHAT DRILL FOR THIS BEARING INSTALL???

ok I get it, no drill, boring bar only which I do have just hope its small enuff............below is the project with the bolt going thru the part that rides on the bearings at both ends

Attachments

• 100_3605.JPG
    100_3605.JPG
    721.9 KB · Views: 13
Martin's got it. Bearings don't fit well in drilled holes. The hole is too large or too small, the depth can'[t be closely monitored. Drill it .030 undersize and bore it to size, light drive fit on the bearing. .030 will give a shoulder to seat against.

Use a 3/16 HSS sq tool, grind away all (on one end) except the boring bar that's hiding inside.

ok I get it, no drill, boring bar only which I do have just hope its small enuff............below is the project with the bolt going thru the part that rides on the bearings at both ends
If possible it would be preferable to have the bearings riding on a smooth rod not the crest of the threads.Means you would prolly have to fabricate the rod.

You are certainly welcome to use an endmill as a boring bar, I do it all the time. Just use one flute as a cutting edge. You'll need to figure out a way to mount it in your toolpost tho
-Mark

You are certainly welcome to use an endmill as a boring bar, I do it all the time. Just use one flute as a cutting edge. You'll need to figure out a way to mount it in your toolpost tho
-Mark
I've used that approach for boring relatively small holes in softer materials like aluminum and brass. It works quite well. I haven't tried it on steel, a little worried about the relatively sharp cutting point -- but it looks like it's worked OK for you. Good to know!

I have HSS end mills of varying diameters with a 3/8" shank that fit in my boring bar holder, makes it easy. When I do this I'm usually boring out through-holes so I rotate the holder a few degrees to get a little relief behind the cutting tip. If you need a flat-bottomed pocket the end mill needs to be parallel to the spindle axis.

Yes soft metals only, or light cuts in steel. The one flute will wear faster of course
I have done the same trick with the lip of a twist drill in a pinch

Back