WHAT DRILL FOR THIS BEARING INSTALL???

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
ok guys am doing a project that entails a bearing install at both ends of this bar, being the bearing is flat am assuming a flat end bottom mill type drill would work, would that be right?? never using one would also assume I would plunge it into the work, right??

Attachments

• 100_3604.JPG
    100_3604.JPG
    515 KB · Views: 6
Dan , if that was myself , I would put a rather large thru hole thru the shaft if possible . We use tons of rollers very similar looking to your part . Before I arrived , when the bearings went south , they thru the entire rollers out . I started drilling holes thru the shafts and now I can knock the bad bearings out with punches thus saving the rollers . Just a thought .

Can you get to the opposite bearing with a punch ? The answer to your original question would be to bore them out to size .

already has a thru hole and thier will be 1 bearing on each end, so again, what kind of drill would I use?????

the bearings are only installed at the ends

the bearings are only installed at the ends
That's assumable . Bore the ends for the bearings and press them in . Where does the problem lie ? I would also assume you want the bearings concentric to the OD of the shaft .

To answer the question: any sort of drill bit or end-mill won't be the right thing here, they will end up cutting oversized and you won't be able to press the bearings in. Use a boring bar in a lathe to get the bottom flag, but most importantly, get the OD of the hole correct.

Hi Dan
i don’t think you could have the accuracy if it I’d drilled. Dave is saying bore it with a boring bar in the lathe.
Cheers
Martin

Sorry Eric was faster typing. Lol

Back