What don't you like about Myford ML7?

After WW2 hobby machining was really big in England, there are/were a bunch of British lathes made during the 40s and 50s as evidenced by Lathes.UK.
Myfords are very well made but small.
MS
I have never seen one close up so I don't know how small it is but my alternative to this lathe is a southbend 9 or a new 7x16" import like LMS 5100. the reason for searching for a small lathes is lack of space in my shop,I have too many woodworking tools in there:),and just bought a garden shed to store some of them in it to free up some space but unfortunately the lathe I can fit there still can not be like a 32" which is the size I really like.

To assess the condition of a lathe, you must put it through it's paces under power. IMO, if you cannot do that, you have a pile of parts that may or may not be usable, and might well be scrap metal or an expensive long term project. I am not afraid to say that to a seller, just a bit less blunt about it
couldn't agree more Bob, but living (most of the time) hours away from the sellers, I need to rely on pictures and description of the lathe before contacting them to make an offer and a viewing, but you are right, once there I'll need a good show and tell by the owner before handing over the cash.

I still have not ruled out Southbend lathes, the parts for a SB9" seem to be very easy to find ,well easier than shipping it from England.

Do you all think $1500(about $1100 USD) is a good price ? this is the latest Myford for sale that piqued my interest,I understand why power cross feed is great feature to have , the seller is willing to sell his "excellent condition" in favour of a super 7,I personally think it should not be more than $800 , for that price I have no problem buying it without that power CF:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1266586515&requestSource=b
View attachment 234220 View attachment 234219

OWNER:
I never thought I would sell this lathe but my friend has a Super 7 Myford that I am buying and I can not afford or have space to keep both or I certainly would.

I am the second owner of this lathe and have used it lightly to make small parts for my hobbies. I have had it 7 years and the older gentleman before me had it since new and used it for his clockmaking hobby for brass parts. I felt very fortunate when I found this lathe in such great condition 7 years ago and I hope it's new owner will feel the same. It truly is a joy to use such a quality piece of machinery. Thanks

I personally don't need a PF on a smaller bench lathe, and think the feature is overrated for said. Heck, I've only used the crossfeed on my 1340 a couple of times. :)

I can't speak to the price, as I have no experience with that. I just saw a Super7 on Ebay and the guy wants $5k or best offer. :eek:

(which is probably why I still don't own one...)

If it does not have a quick change gear box and if it does not have power feed. Then IMO, I would look elsewhere. Even if it had a taper attachment but no QCGB and or PF, I would still look elsewhere. That’s how important the QCGB and PF is to me. Having a QCGB is a must have for me.

The Myford is a nice lathe but has some shortcomings which has been noted. If the Myford fits your needs go with it. My First lathe is a 12 x 36 which had limitations . Later I bought a 6 inch also has limitations. Now I have 3 lathes when I added a 15 inch but it has a short bed. They all have limitations which I can work around. The Myford is neat and is a very nice machine but a large Chinese should be in the corner when needed.

Just food for thought:
I would consider any lathe with a screw on chuck and deal breaker.

i would snatch up any Myfords that ever crossed my path.
i have not had the pleasure of working with one, but they are beautiful, well made machines.
even with the drawbacks, they have produced hundreds of thousands of useful things by skilled hands.
the machine is merely an extension of the skill of the operator

Well I don't know, The color seems a little odd! Maybe my eyes are a little too old to consider important things like color.

Thank you all for your comments, someone you all know talked me into buying a newer,more modern lathe so that Myford is out for now, but I do appreciate all your help, this is going to be the only lathe I'll ever buy so it better be the right one.:tranquility:

Back