What don't you like about Myford ML7?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
If you were looking for a small lathe for a hobbyist's machine shop (~$1200-$1500)and there were a surge of used southbend 9 as well as Myford ML7, would you buy a Myford ML7?
what makes you walk away from ML7 ?

What is it with these(ML7) lathes ? are they not comparable if not way better than the Chinese 7" lathes? what makes any one choose an import over ML7? would you choose a southbend 9" over ML7?
Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Americans prefer American iron. The Myford lathes seem to have a good reputation among people who use them and in British influenced countries. The ML7 is a smaller and lighter lathe than a SB9, however. I really am not that familiar with either of them, and prefer larger lathes that can handle bigger jobs. Whatever works for you. When looking at used lathes, the watchwords are condition, tooling, and price. Take plenty of time to make sure that everything works to your satisfaction before buying any used lathe.

Bernardo has Nice machines have No idea for the availability in the canadian region. Grts
Ted

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

The small spindle bore and no power cross feed would be my only complaints about my ML7. And maybe a bit of a pain to engage the back gear, but at least it has one.
Get one with a gearbox as they seem to cost more than the lathe to buy second hand if you ever wanted to add one.
I have a tri-leva which is great - but seem to be quite rare. Removes the hassle of moving belts to change speed, but a variable speed motor upgrade would also achieve that if you wanted it.
I don't have much experience with other lathes for comparison - but that's my opinion of my ML7. I find it great for what I want and doubt I will ever bother upgrading.

Ted, I don't know much about different brands but I see plenty Southbend and Hardinge ,Mayford in small sizes, lots of older (Taiwanese) imports.
Pete, I believe the power cross feed was not available on ML7as far as my search took me but I could live without it if I must, lack of quick change GB is also something I can live with but the small spindle bore and no power ?,both are reasonable turn offs,my viable alternative is Southbend which is very much available around where I live , more expensive though.
. When looking at used lathes, the watchwords are condition, tooling, and price. Take plenty of time to make sure that everything works to your satisfaction before buying any used lathe.
Bob, I too like or prefer old iron (small for a small size shop ), noticed a few SB9" or 10" that are supposedly "restored /plug & play"but very hard to assess their actual condition ,they all have a good paint job on the outside. the ML7s look better than new .

To assess the condition of a lathe, you must put it through it's paces under power. IMO, if you cannot do that, you have a pile of parts that may or may not be usable, and might well be scrap metal or an expensive long term project. I am not afraid to say that to a seller, just a bit less blunt about it. Show me(!) or it is a parts donor worth a little more than scrap metal price (currently around $50/ton delivered to the scrapper.) If they can't show it do what it is supposed to do, run, don't walk, out the door unless it is free, perhaps even then. Antiques and some others are special cases, but not a common lathe...

Pete, I believe the power cross feed was not available on ML7as far as my search took me

Yes, you need to upgrade to the Myford Super7 to get the possibility of the power cross feed - but not all of them had it either.

Oh man, a Super7? I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was available here, as it would make a great second lathe! I've drooled over those for years. :)

After WW2 hobby machining was really big in England, there are/were a bunch of British lathes made during the 40s and 50s as evidenced by Lathes.UK.
Myfords are very well made but small.
MS

Oh man, a Super7? I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was available here, as it would make a great second lathe! I've drooled over those for years. :)
Do you all think $1500(about $1100 USD) is a good price ? this is the latest Myford for sale that piqued my interest,I understand why power cross feed is great feature to have , the seller is willing to sell his "excellent condition" in favour of a super 7,I personally think it should not be more than $800 , for that price I have no problem buying it without that power CF:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1266586515&requestSource=b
$_35.JPG $_35 (3).JPG

OWNER:
I never thought I would sell this lathe but my friend has a Super 7 Myford that I am buying and I can not afford or have space to keep both or I certainly would.

I am the second owner of this lathe and have used it lightly to make small parts for my hobbies. I have had it 7 years and the older gentleman before me had it since new and used it for his clockmaking hobby for brass parts. I felt very fortunate when I found this lathe in such great condition 7 years ago and I hope it's new owner will feel the same. It truly is a joy to use such a quality piece of machinery. Thanks

Back