What Do You Think About This 8520

That pic is a mill that is for sale in Greensboro near me for $2900. I doubt anyone would swap out the emblems?
R

The badges look like Clausing to me, regardless of what the poster described it as.

And although I don't know when, Clausing bought Johansen or maybe Johanson many years ago. If you do a search on this forum you will find it spelled three or four different ways. But that's who originally built what became the 8520.

That pic is a mill that is for sale in Greensboro near me for $2900. I doubt anyone would swap out the emblems?
R

The $2900 will buy you that Clausing 8520, I'm 110% sure of it; it is not a Rockwell. Maybe the seller has a couple of mills and posted the wrong pic....who knows. Just call the seller and ask what brand mill it is, if he/she actually looks at it when giving the answer it will be Clausing. Looks nice but I think the price is pretty dang high, even with the vise it better have a lot of other accessories/tooling to even come close to value of the asking price.

Brian

The badge on the head looks suspiciously like the Rockwell emblem sideways.
rockwell-international-saul-bass.jpg

I have owned a lathe with the same emblem. I agree this is way over priced regardless of the manufacturer. I wonder if Rockwell bought castings from Clausing at one time?
R

rockwell-international-saul-bass.jpg

I don't care what the stickers might say, it is definitely a Clausing. Take a look at the areas marked in red:
ClausingFerSure.jpg

This is a pic from the CL post linked in this threads very first post, the red 'Atlas Clausing' logo is what you see in the "is this a Rockwell" pic for $2900 post. I think we can probably quit beating this dead horse now:grin big:!

Brian

5af59e8b-d615-4588-b412-f4b148d81ee6_zpsofqymliq.png

That dates it to the late 50's or early 60's when the company was apparently going through an identity crisis. After that, only the original Atlas items still had the Atlas name shown.

Most non-Atlas owners today apparently think that Clausing bought out Atlas. But it was actually the other way around. Why the original company name got changed back to Clausing is a mystery but probably Corporate Karate (a well known form of cancer).

Incidentally, there is what looks from the one photo to be a Clausing 8520 available in Shiner, TX (about midway between Houston and San Antonio). Local pickup only.

Brian- Now that I see that you are clearly right! That is a Clausing badge and you just cant see the other colors well in the pic.
Regardless, the seller is still way over on the price. I may contact him after it doesn't sell for a while and see how he feels. Thanks for the input guys.
R

Back