What Do You Think About This 8520

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/4924852229.html

I am not at all familiar with Clausing mills. How is this price? What typically fails on these models? Is there an easy way to adapt it for R8 tooling or is that out of the question?
I like the size and weight for my shop but maybe a Grizzly would be an easier option?
Any input appreciated.
R

The spindle is too small to adapt it to R8 collets, in my opinion anyway. It probably uses #2 Morse taper collets, which are readily available, so tooling it isn't necessarily a big pain. A set of off-shore made collets that range from 1/16" up to 1/2" can be purchased for less than $50 US. Is the only reason you might want to use R8 collets is the extra capacity for bigger tools? Because if you need to spin tools with 3/4" or 1 " shanks on them, then this isn't the machine for you anyway.

As far as breakage goes, I think the most vulnerable spot on these seems to be the quill fine-feed mechanism, there are 3 gears that are used to transmit power from the manual handwheel to the quill, and there's one of those gears that will strip if a person overloads the fine feed by trying to force-feed the tool instead of using the rapid feed handle for heavy jobs. Replacing the gear can be expensive, but there is a cheaper alternative for the repair that involves buying a commonly available gear from McMaster-Carr and doing some alterations to make it fit.

At this point I'm not aware of any other real 'weak points" on this mill. Its like any other mill, in the sense that wherever there are parts that move, rotate, or transmit power, there's something that needs to be maintained and/or lubricated. There's plenty of good reference material to leaf through online if you want to find out more. Here's one of the better spots to read up on the 8520 milling machine...

http://www.wentztech.com/metalworking/equipment/clausing-8520-mill/

Whether this mill is a better option than a Grizzly or any other machine - I think it boils down to a person being able to make intelligent decisions how to go about the job(s) they need to get done versus the limitations of the machine, then decide if you need or want to confine yourself to a certain budget figure. With respect to the asking price of the one you're investigating, somebody with more experience in that area may be able to offer some guidance.

All I can add is that now that I've got my Clausing set up and running, I'm happy as Hell that I don't have to do without it.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Chris S

Chris S has given good advice. If you're a home hobbiest with a small shop, it's almost perfect imho..

From the pictures provided, I would only say that the vice is far to large, it goes with a real bridgeport I feel. The price is reasonable if it were located in New England, I don't know the pricing for that location.

There is a lot of info in this website, with links that shares a lot of great info! I am thrilled that I have one in my shop too! LOL

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I am torn between something like the and the PM25 which is a little lighter and has an R8 spindle.
R
Edit :I am also not crazy about the 4.9" Y axis (if I have that right.) The PM25 has 7" travel Y and the BP 12".

Last edited:
I also have an 8520 and love it. They came with two different spindle options: Morse Taper #2 or Brown & Sharp #7. MT2 collets are easy to get, and even the B&S collets can be had, but are a bit more difficult to find. Typically the model number indicates which spindle your machine has. The 8520 came with an MT2 spindle, whereas the 8525 came with the B&S spindle. One of the members here has an 8525 with an MT2 spindle, and we suspect that it was changed over to the MT2 spindle later in its life.

I also purchased a number of MT2 end mill holders. Collets can be used, but to be honest I like the end mill holders better. I have seen cases where the end mill was not tight enough in the collet and it would slip upward while cutting. Not so much a major problem as an inconvenience, but typically does not occur with end mill holders.

Boring heads can also be purchased with MT2 shanks.

In short, the lack of an R8 spindle will not be as big a problem as you might think.

Chris was right about the gears for the fine feed. Mine were stripped out when I got it, and still are. I do plan to replace the bad ones eventually, but for right now I am getting along just fine without them.

Vise size is important with these mills. Large vises will rob you of your vertical clearance in a hurry. I have the original 4" Clausing vise and a 5" Glacern. I really like the Glacern, but it sure eats up the space between the table and the spindle in a hurry, and a 6" vise would be worse yet.

On edit: One other thing I forgot to mention, the 8520 is a much heavier machine than the PM25, and in many cases increased weight translates into less chatter or vibration when taking heavier cuts.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Terry!
FYI it sold before I could see it for $1750.
R

Thanks Terry!
FYI it sold before I could see it for $1750.
R
$1750 is pretty high for one. I sold mine in good shape with 2 axis DRO for that with the correct vise and collets. Personally, having had both, if you have room for a 8520 you likely could make room for a Bridgeport or clone with 35 or 42" table and be worlds ahead with a heavier spindle, better speed selection, a head that nods, etc. I learned a lot on my 8520 but my work quality went up dramatically when I got a more rigid machine. A 8520 is less rigid than most Chinese mill drills but does have the advantage of the knee.

lots of machines out there, be patient and ready to act quickly
michael

Is this Rockwell Mill the same as the Clausing? They look identical.

R

it sure looks like one to me I have also seen some marked johansen at auctions that looked like the clausing 8520

Is this Rockwell Mill the same as the Clausing? They look identical.

R

It looks identical to a Clausing 8520 because it is one, if it says Rockwell on the head and column(can't see 'em clearly but they sure look like Clausings) someone was messing with the stickers. That pic was posted in the google search images for a Rockwell, other Clausings were shown in those images but it is/they are not(you don't really believe everything you see on the net do you?:distrust:) Heres a pic of the Rockwell vertical mill, different column, motor on head, etc.

Brian

99ad4fa9-4641-4b00-8413-6ac7471bb116_zpsqxufxkmi.png

99ad4fa9-4641-4b00-8413-6ac7471bb116_zpsqxufxkmi.png

Last edited:
Back