What do with "inherited" ACRA mill

robinson303

Registered
Registered
Hello All,

I'm hoping this is a place I can get some help our guidance. I seem to have "inherited" a ACRA manual mill from my machinist ex-husband. He moved out 3.5 years ago. I let him keep his mill in the garage for a couple of years until he could find a new home for it. He recently told me he hasn't been able to sell it for a decent price, that he's not going to come get it, and that it's mine to deal with. It takes up a fair bit of my garage so I'd like to sell it, but I don't know how to go about selling something like this. Would ebay/craigslist/Facebook marketplace be the way to go? How do I figure out what something like this is worth? Any advice is appreciated. Note, I'm not trying to sell here. I'm trying to get info so I'm not so ignorant when I do try to sell it.

As best I can tell from the nameplate (see attached pic)2 its a 1996 ACRA model A-2V. It hasn't been used for at least 4 years, and was probably used infrequently for a few years before that. I have no idea what kind of running condition it is in.

Thanks!

PXL_20240107_213438615.jpgPXL_20240320_222904440.MP.jpg

Acra is a good mill. For what it is worth it is a regional thing. I would look at Craig’s list , Facebook marketplace,and EBay for what something similar has sold for. Not just asking price. Look around for any tooling that goes with it. That will make it more desirable to somebody that is looking for a mill. It is a desirable size for what most of us look for. It should not be hard to sell.

Hi, Welcome to HM.
Yes eBay, Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace are all good places to list it. As far as price, I'm not from your area but around me that machine would Probably go for around $1,500-$2,500 but the lower you price it, the quicker it will sell...

Beware of scammers out there. Were it mine, I would demand cash only, buyer responsible for any and all moving, and sell it as-is so everything is tied up neatly. Close-up photos will give prospective buyers a better idea of the condition.

Welcome aboard ! I have no room at the inn , but that mill should be in the $2000 -$2500 range depending on wear and general overall condition . Looks like that is a Kurt 6" and whatever other tooling you would find could raise the price . Not sure how the Texas market is but we have many members from down that way . :encourage:

One scam that has gone the rounds is where the "buyer" will make arraignments for a third party to pick up the machine and they will send you a check to cover the expenses if you will pay the mover. The check bounces and you end up minus the machine and out of pocket for the moving. There are other variations on this scam. The scammers trawl places like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace looking for marks.

You might want to look for used local machinery sellers. You won't be getting the best price but the risk will be much less.

Every time I list on Craigslist I get messages like these within minutes ! :grin: I ignore all , other than my rich Uncle's in Siberia .

Acra is a good mill. For what it is worth it is a regional thing. I would look at Craig’s list , Facebook marketplace, and EBay for what something similar has sold for. Not just asking price. Look around for any tooling that goes with it. That will make it more desirable to somebody that is looking for a mill. It is a desirable size for what most of us look for. It should not be hard to sell.
I suspect I may have some tooling. There is a nice cart with a lot of metal things.

One scam that has gone the rounds is where the "buyer" will make arraignments for a third party to pick up the machine and they will send you a check to cover the expenses if you will pay the mover. The check bounces and you end up minus the machine and out of pocket for the moving. There are other variations on this scam. The scammers trawl places like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace looking for marks.

You might want to look for used local machinery sellers. You won't be getting the best price but the risk will be much less.
Ah yes, the scammers. I do sell quite a bit of Facebook marketplace so I am pretty familiar with the scams. I definitely won't let someone take this thing out of my garage until I have cash in hand.

Back