What Did You Buy Today?

Took a risk on a couple of micrometers on eBay for $40 delivered. One is a Fowler electronic digital 0-1.2", other a mechanical-digital Fowler 0-1" screw pitch. Just my personal preference, but I like the mechanical-digital mic's over the electronic ones. The electronic one was sold as non-working. Screw pitch was missing all of the anvils (5 sets of 2).

I have two metal lathes: Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" and a Clausing 5418 12" x 24". They each have their own tool carts which are both similarly stocked. Both started out with Shars 0-1" screw pitch mic's. I picked up a set of Fowler mechanical-digit a few months ago for the Grizzly, have been shopping for one for the Clausing (yes, OCD). There were a few options on eBay for about $175, but I got the one for the Grizzly at under $75 as I recall.

When this pair of mic's showed up I checked if the Shars thread anvils would fit in my Fowler mic; they did. So I did the Buy It Now and got them both today. The electronic one works IF I hold the battery against the contacts. I'll do a little work with a strip of brass for a contact and it'll be fine. Transferred over the anvils from the Shars to the Fowler, now both lathes are equally equipped. I'll hang onto the Shars vernier-style just in case one of the digitals craps out.

Thanks for looking,

Bruce

$40 delivered off eBay. Sold as parts/not working
20201110_161031.jpg

My Clausing had a Shars 0-1" thread pitch mic
20201110_161045.jpg

Moved the anvils over from the Shars to the Fowler, now have two mechanical-digital mics.
20201110_161139.jpg

Electronic Fowler works, but needs some contact help
20201110_162750.jpg

Back